Is turning off windows update a big risk?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jkh334, Aug 1, 2009.

1. jkh334

jkh334 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #1 jkh334, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    When i turned off windows update the action center went crazy with a red dot in it and a balloon message like the world was ending. I went back and told it to check for updates every day but notify me before downloading and it still wasnt happy so I clicked to hide the message. I know sometimes M$ finds exploits and security issues and releases updates to resolve them but is win7 with no updates pretty tight or is it like vista and will have exploits found monthly if not more often? I had vista set to download and install automatically any important or recommended updates and now it takes literally right at 5 minutes from the time I see the Bios screen till the time its fully loaded and I have tweaked services and turned off all the bogus start-up programs. Win7 takes 1.5 minutes exactly from/to the same. Is windows update really necessary if you have a virus scan to detect viruses and a router with a secured network?

2. technosux

technosux MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I think update can help to fix early problems of the OS.
    For instance I got a driver update...
    But I'm affraid that the crack is disabled by keeping automatic update at the same time.

3. jkh334

jkh334 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 jkh334, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    (OP)
    Oh yeah I got all the driver updates when installed win7 as well as the office 07 updates and service pack. Then I installed the cr**k and when M$ said they found the leak, i turned off windows update. I did not upgrade to the 16399 build because how do we know M$ didnt leak that deliberately to mess up the cr**k???? The announced build was 16385 and 16399 could be some kind of trick to deactivate at a later date unannounced without warning. If it aint broke dont try to fix it ;)

4. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Relax, the 16399 is safe. You don't need to turn off Windows Update, just set it to update manually. Because the RTM hasn't been released yet, there won't be updates through this channel for the coming days.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Wrong thread oops