Is using Insider Preview heavier on the SSD?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by exslim, May 3, 2022.

1. exslim

exslim MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2022
    Is using Insider Preview heavier on the SSD? Does it write significantly more data with daily use and updates, compared to 22000 or 19044? I'm thinking about using it on one of my machines, but I'm a little worried about impact on older SSD drive.

2. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    as a normal user.
    you need to work very hard,
    to destroy SSD.
    look at the specification of the ssd,
    you will not kill it easily.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I have such older SSD (crapo SanDisk U100) and can tell you that the more frequent updates, telemetry on overdrive, broken explorer and bugged defender in beta / dev builds definitely impacts it!
    To better describe it, it starts timing out on requests - when copying files, there is some delay, or programs launch slower. It does recover by itself and can be fine for days. Then again timing out.
    I have verified with monitoring tools, and it's always during and after updating/defender/telemetry runs.
    Such behavior does not exist on release 11 or 10.

I generally do not recommend running Beta & Dev builds as your daily OS precisely because of the telemetry on overdrive and the tons of bugs.
    Instead, use a virtual machine to test-drive it. If you need specific enhancements, you're better off with 3rd-party like explorerpatcher.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. exslim

exslim MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2022
    Thank you kindly!
    I'm curious how Windows 11 is changed but i have old hardware. Is it reasonable to consider Windows 11 RTM for old hardware? One would be a laptop with i5-4200U, nothing fancy required, and the other would be my main workstation with i7-6600, no TPM module, and very important - 3 HDDs encrypted with BitLocker and of course system drive would be nice to have secured.
    I'm leaning towards staying on W10 but it's just easily scared me ;]

Many thanks in advance! Thank you again for yours ISO making script.

And sorry for another question but you feel like you know these things inside and outside.
    What's the best way to disable built in Windows antivirus?
    Is there maybe a script that'll disable it offline (as in the installed Windows will already have disabled Defender AV)

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Dunno how you got there, if anything is known, 11 is NOT meant to work on unsupported/old hardware.

Just stay on 10.

6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    What Enthousiast said.
    11 is a mixed bag for old hardware. Some actually runs it better than 10, but most will tank performance a bit. With tweaking you can run it decently, but then again, tweaking is not for everybody, it requires periodic adjustments.

7. boe323

boe323 MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2011
  8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Everything is nice and this 95% is a beautiful number, but unfortunately it is a ceiling number (taken from the ceiling) and isn't related to reality at all.
    SSD, NVMe etc, it is purely only electronics with life span of the life of crystals and it is very long and completely unpredictable.
    Usually they will be mechanically broken, rarely also electronically, for example, when applying overvoltage. But with the electronic energy supply of the crystal structure, nothing usually happens even if you break the crystals. Thus, there is no sense if it is shown 95% or 99%, there can be only 1 or 0, ie it works or does not work at all. Basically it is exactly the same as all diodes, transistors, microcumes/chips, processors, etc. Interestingly, you do not talk about life time and how many % is useable there. However, when it comes to talking about LED luminaires, for example, life expectancy will be discussed again. Why? They also have two level only - they works or they do not works. Thinking and talking of things is somehow strange and often does not understand, what it comes from or what the reason for this kind of thinking is.

You may look at these numbers and even admire them, but only somebody's commercial success depends on it and nothing else.

9. alpha2beta

alpha2beta MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2015
    "crystal structure"? What is this Stargate SG-1?

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Maybe you explain what about you're talking or what you mean.

11. boe323

boe323 MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2011
    #11 boe323, May 6, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
    the 95/99% refers to whether or not the ssd can still write data
    Whether they breakdown or continue working is kinda irrelevant, all hardware could just breakdown.
    an SSD will not be able to write data when its lifetime is over. But it will be able to read it. Thus, when the drive health is 0%, you will have a read-only drive, you will be able to read all your data, but you will not be able to modify it.

12. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Thank you for that link . Something interesting to read while i'm eating my breakfast :)

13. tracknot

tracknot MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2022
    TLDR; The individual knows his world very well. Good spoon to feed.

14. catosis

catosis MDL Junior Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Do Insider branches download and write much more data? Kill old SSDs faster?
    I'm curious to try something new, I'm not sure which way exactly I want to go.
    But before - approximately of course, should I expect more traffic on system SSD? A little more? Fraction? Double? I hope not.

Many thanks for any useful information! :)

15. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

No offense, but clearly you have no idea of what you are talking about.

Why all your post sound like a support call made by a MS call center employee?

The smart data value you read on SSDLife is actually (mostly) referred to the number of spare cell that are actually used. So it's a very precise value, its not like the estimated life of a light bulb (which is supposed to last about 1000h, but may last either 2000 or 500hrs).

When you buy a new SSD say a 120 GB one, you actually get a say 128GB disk, where those 8GB are never visible to the OS (and hence the end user).

Those 8GB are SILENTLY used to replace the worn cells during the life of the SSD (by the internal logic of the SSD itself). So when 4GB are used your SSD life is about at 50%.

When 6GB are used SSDlife shows 25% life remaining and so on.

When you reach 8GB of used data, you are like on a car with no spare wheel, the car still works but the first damage you get on any of your 4 running wheel forces you to stop the car.

In SSD case, this usually (and hopefully) translates in the logic of SSD that forces the device in read only mode.

16. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Way, way more data due to max telemetry, logging, often broken Defender (worse contender), "Smart App Control" eval, etc.
    More updates as well, more update failures, testing servicing, more fixes needed, more dynamic rollbacks, extra Store app updates, and the flighting itself does more background chatting / updating / A/B tests and so forth.
    I do have a crapo Sandisk U100 that experiences slow downs / periodic freezing on dev builds but not / less so in retail builds, but I would not venture saying "killing SSDs" level.
    I would stay away from any beta / dev builds, nothing worth there anyway.