Is Windows 10 taking screenshots in the background as part the CEIP?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Userx256, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Userx256

Userx256 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    Apparently some people seem to have background screen captures generated under %userprofile%/Pictures/Feedback/{uuid}/ that are potententially sent to Microsoft as part of the CEIP.

Also somebody metioned it in the comments section of an article from The Verge and was answered that this behaviour can be disabled with the checkbox "Include screenshot" under some "Provide feedback" section which I can not seem to find in my system. Note: this one is apparently about the Insider Preview build 10525.

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    The screenshots is taken when you use Windows Feedback App and post a feedback

3. roga

roga MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    You cant trust MS, my money is on them taking screenshots whenever they like because you won't know when they do it anyway!
    Look at MS spying with Windows10 despite toggling the spying off.

4. squee666

squee666 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    literally 80% of your posts are paranoia .

Its the beta version causing this via the *FEEDBACK* app. You are literally sending them feedback on purpose when they do it.

Stop posting in every thread like *oh this antivirus installation file could be a virus & oh microsoft is using telemetry data for cortana to give me more accurate results BURN THE WITCH*

Why should you care its not like microsoft is gonna get any good data from your Pentium M laptop saying that. the fact you still have it and are trying to actively use it sounds like you have something to hide.

5. Userx256

Userx256 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    #5 Userx256, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    (OP)
    Apparently the person in question used a local account since the begining and never opened the Feedback app.
    In the second case from the coments section of The Verge ("windows-privacy-and-you" article) the comment was:

"What about Windows 10 taking screenshots upon installing programs?
    YouTube Video YSa7lpoRvWc

Excuse the music
    Also Windows 10 has the ability to uninstall / brick pirated apps and games."

and the answer:

"In the "Provide feedback" section there’s a checkbox that says "include screenshot". The system is is constantly taking screenshots when you perform system changes, like installing apps or making certain changes that if they go wrong it’s probably the fault of the OS. You can turn that off if you want."

While the originality of the referenced video might be questionable is the answer what really concerns me as the user who posted it seems pretty sure about the fact. Still I have only seen such checkbox within the Windows Feedback app in my Insider Preview VM.

6. Userx256

Userx256 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    I do not think this kind of answers help on clarifying anything...

7. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Please do. These paranoid rantings are tiresome. Don't use 10 if you don't want to but don't do on about it.

8. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Windows is not taking random pics of a PC.

Include screenshot is when there's a problem and you send feedback, and the feedback is about a problem that can be seen on the PC, so the only way to make sure they see what is happening is to include one.

Even if they did take pic's. It's the insider program, it's made for that purpose, you're told this, it's not to play with windows, it's to find bugs and help Microsoft remove them.

9. Userx256

Userx256 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    #10 Userx256, Aug 28, 2015
    (OP)
    Of course and that is why I always used a virtual machine for the Insider Preview. Anyway the question here is does this behaviour of taking screenshots when an application with administrative privileges launches extends to RTM releases with non-insider licenses?

10. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    :D Paranoia......... They barely have the manpower to roll out the updates and handle the bug-reports, do you think MS has a backroom where they are looking at screenshots of your activities? Ha, you should know by now when there is no money in it, MS is not going to do it. Maybe you should live better and have a clear conscience, I think that might take care of unreasonable fears to a great extent.

11. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Microsoft isnt going to do this and on top of that.

WHO GIVES A s**t?

Honestly, police should stop by your houses. The paranoia in some of you is making me think that you have something highly illegal to hide.

12. sh4dow_cr4ft

sh4dow_cr4ft MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2009
    who said anyone was actively checking your screen shots? maybe they throw them in a database matched to your hardware ID?

It's funny people still approach this stuff as Paranoia, ppl said the same before Snowden leaked what was actually happening, and yet, here we are a few years later, and its back to paranoia, its not hard to do this

13. sh4dow_cr4ft

sh4dow_cr4ft MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2009
    Saying we don't deserve Privacy, is the same as saying we don't need free speech, maybe you have nothing important to say, but a lot of people do

14. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Maybe you're right. I'll keep the door unlocked in case they want to pay me a visit :D

It reminds me of that story about the person who was down and out and nothing worked for him. He became so despondent, he thought he would turn his life over to the Devil. Turns out, the Devil wasn't interested either. Now that's a bummer.

15. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    That was on insider preview feedback APP, and you had to tell it to send a PIC, it didn't steal pic's, so I don't see how anyone can think that in RTM they are stealing PIC's.

Can they, YES. When someone captures traffic, and proves it, then lets hope that can be stopped.

16. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    After WWII the German and Austrian governments made it illegal to carry out spying on citizens as the Nazis did. Do you really think M$ would introduce something that could be linked to the Nazis and it be allowed in mainland Europe? Think again and hard, learn something before you post again saying this.

17. Userx256

Userx256 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    #18 Userx256, Aug 28, 2015
    (OP)
    Ok I will interpret this as "not yet proven/confirmed". It is funny how such a simple answer takes so many ways around the actual question...

18. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    For me...I am using on a desktop with full applications. No apps, no ms account, no google account, facebook, or any other things like that, and never will use them. Sometimes I use VPN other time not. I removed all the apps and block as much as I can. That is good enough as far as I am concerned. Once you go on the net, someone is going to know things about you and track things, it is just the way it is. Do whatever you can to minimize it and get on with your life. Irrational fear is doing more damage to you then someone trying to make money off of you for advertising. They are not interested in what you are doing other than what they can make money off of.

19. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Shiny side out bro, shiny side out. :worthy::worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...