Isn't KMS activation good enough?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Frankincense, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    Just wondering why, when there's now a perfectly good means of activating Windows 8 (VL) either by online by public server or locally with KMSNano is there such a craving for a "permanent" Windows 8 activation.

Is re-activating every 6 months such a hardship?

2. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    No, but it's always nice to have an alternative. Nobody can tell which one is the better solution in the long run...

3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    If M$ issued WAT update or online validation method for Windows 8.. the current KMS activators will become superfluous :D

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If someone would declare a 5min work as Hardship, than YES it is! It isn't in my opinion!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm not sure I understand you exactly... Are you saying that M$ could stop us all using either the online or offline KMS method?

6. MartinMDL

MartinMDL MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he meant. MS is definitely aware of all the current activation methods, in fact they already fixed the wmc activation loophole. It's their OS, they can do whatever the heck they want with it...flag and deactivate us all. The real question is..would they?

7. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    #7 Frankincense, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    (OP)
    Hmmm that's a pain..

But if you are an organisation that has 100's of Windows 8 VL PC's then surely that organisation can change the KMS server to whatever IP address they like?

I'm sure M$ could block win8kms4.mooo.com and a whole host of servers if they wanted... so I guess there must be a way they could stop the KMSNano local activator from working too?

Although I guess most of us here use something like True Image - I know I do, and before installing any OS updates I do an incremental image update - just in case - and then if things go pear shaped I restore to a previous good state and rely on you guys to tell me which update not to install :p

8. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    They already did, check Win7 threads about that.

As said before, by the first genuin check for Win8, all of this goes down the drain.

9. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    Not if you don't install the update ;)

10. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    We can debat on this for as long that we want, MS closed the WMC loop without having to download anything. So i'm shure that they will figure something out that doesnt rely on a WAT update like for Win7. It's gonna be someting like a online check of your .dat files and productkey that is used.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If you are given the choice ;) no one knows yet what they will do.

12. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    I see your point..

13. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    Just as a side issue

The key that most people have used to install Win 8 Enterprise is XXXXX-CWCK7

This key is the one M$ posts itself on it's client setup keys page for VL license machines, so if they blocked this key wouldn't it have massive implications?

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It is not the client key they block it will be the host one and if that has been leaked from a company they just issue the company another key.

15. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #15 CODYQX4, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

16. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    Is that how KMSNano works?
    Are the "host" keys that are contained within KMSNano ones that have been leaked and therefore blockable?

17. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Every kms host that is floating around is based on the same leaked keys, so short answer: Yes.

18. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Well the 5 Minutes of work every 6 month is for the majority of windows users not explainable. Only a small number of Windows users can crasp the real meaning of an aktivation and there is no answer to realy satify those people why they have do do this every 6 months over and over again. They usualy complain to there computer guy, why they have to hassle every 6 month with such a think like aktivation and such. For them Windows is plainly broken!

And that is what MS realy wants. The hassle free experience are only for the real customers. Every one else, who don't want to buy Windows have to jump throught hoops once in a while to get the Windows experience.

I said this already several times that I think, that in a few years, Windows would be free to install for the normal consumer or at a very low cost, because MS would make good money with selling content. As of today MS makes only the real money off of corporate customers.

When the nearly free Windows comes, than every hacking and cracking of the activation would only be a academic chalange.

19. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
    #19 harrismail, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    Oh dear.... I guess the answer to the OP is unfortunately..... no

Better dig out my last Win 7 image and put it on ice.. :rolleyes:

20. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    Hmmmm OK - Question..

If M$ deactivate my Win 8 VL KMS and I get bored with the "chase" what legal options do I have to activate it?
    Can I pay or is the VL a no go?