ISO differences between MSDN and tool

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Nikolai007, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Nikolai007

Nikolai007 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2013
    I downloaded the latest Fall Creator update x64 from MSDN and also using the media creation tool, but both images are different, one weights 4.39 GB and the other 3.55 GB. Why are they different? Shouldnt they be the same?

Thanks

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #2 Enthousiast, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Sizes are different because of compression methods, both will install the exact same sku's and builds.

MCT = ISO with install.esd
    MVS ISO = ISO with install.wim
    install.esd is appr. 30% less in size.

3. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

I prefer MCT because the file is smaller and it's usually a fast download, just because it takes a bit longer to create the ISO, it still saves space on your thumb drive.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Most modify the image before creating the iso, so ESD>ISO or just ISO with install.wim saves time, no need to convert install.esd > install.wim first.
    It depends on what you want to do with the iso what's the better option.

5. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

So if I use MCT and then convert the esd to wim with the ESD<>WIM program, will Windows install faster?

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Not that i ever noticed.

7. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Hi,
    I know that some old computers have problems in booting MCT iso bcoz they have ESD format. And they can successfully boot msdn iso bcoz they have wim format.
    That is the significant diff between them.

BTW does anyone know any other diff between them over usability and other things?

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why should older pc's have problems with install.esd?
    The MCT only takes more time and system resources because it has to download the full consumer_ret esd and convert it to iso (when direct upgrading it converts to unpacked iso).
    ISO with install.esd works just as fine as with install.wim.

9. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    #9 LoverOfLove, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    I don't know the actual reason behind this but I have encountered some PC more than 10 year old and when I tried to boot from ESD iso they hang at logo and then some error appear but they worked just fine when I booted with wim format. This has happened many times.
    May be old system don't have compability with ESD.
    ( I've a service shop)

10. tracit99

tracit99 MDL Senior Member

Oct 17, 2014
    This behavior is strange. I am not an expert, but as far as I know a Windows ISO boots using a boot.wim file. I believe the boot.wim is the same regardless whether the ISO contains install.esd or install.wim, but I could be wrong. The install.esd or install.wim is used if you decide to install Windows from the ISO.

11. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Yes its boots and windows logo appear with circles but then it hangs and some error appear. Yes it is strange and I've faced this issue with some old pc.
    I will post about this error code next time I will see it.

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    A question on the same general theme, using another approach of (re)installing Windows.

If I create a recovery drive thro Windows itself (CP > Recovery), it says:
    “Even if your PC can’t start, you can use a recovery drive to reset it or troubleshoot problems. If you back up system files to this drive, you’ll also be able to use it to reinstall Windows.

So, instead of creating an ISO as per OP, I can reinstall Windows thru such a drive.

Now, my question is, what will be the differences between the systems installed via the two approaches and which one is easier? Would updates also be included in either?

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK the Recovery-Drive will be created from an installed version of Windows, which could be a non-finished Base-Installation of Windows as well as full or even extended Windows installation with Drivers and Updates and even all needed Applications!

If create a Recovery-Drive, all would be about the stage of the windows installation, which is used for the creation of the Recovery-Drive! But I don't know there will be much difference between the systems used! Someone has to test that!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It creates a clean usb installmedium, i've made one and it installs a clean windows.

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Thanks.

But if it includes my system files, I'd expect it to be up to date, iincorporating all updates to that point. Am I right?