ISO for Windows 7 on online bought Dell machines: COEM or not?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by riahc3, Mar 11, 2016.

1. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Hello

I want to deploy Windows 7 machines on online bought Dells that have it preinstalled. Im going to wipe them and reimage them with our software.

Do I need to choose the standalone versión or the one with COEM?

Thank you

2. silashack

silashack MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2013
    AFAIK you would need to buy the appropriate licenses, it gets VERY confusing but for mass deployment you are not entitled to use the fact that you have OEM, it would still require you to install each one of them individually from the correct OEM image.

I may be wrong, as it is confusing as F*** when you read the T&C

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If you have sticker on it, then you have licensed version (whatever edition it says on the sticker)
    It stays with machine for its life

sebus

4. silashack

silashack MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2013
    #5 silashack, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Q. If I need to reinstall the operating system on a machine from a direct OEM, such as Dell, that my customer has brought in. How should I do this?
    A. A customer who wants you to reinstall Windows must provide recovery media from the direct OEM, because the software is licensed to the customer for use on that PC by that OEM. You cannot use your own OEM system builder media to reinstall the operating system, or any other version of media (such as TechNet, MSDN, or Action Pack), because these versions differ from the original OEM Windows license your customer acquired from the direct OEM. A customer who doesn't have a backup copy of the software for reinstallation will need to contact the original OEM and request replacement recovery media; you can use that media to reinstall the operating system on that machine.

As taken from microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=6dY7iAI4sT2?hashlink=faq5

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I have tons of Dell original media...

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #7 Enthousiast, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Once a friend got an acer desktop with 7 preinstalled to reinstall (hdd had died, incl recovery), so it had a slic2.1 table. It didn't get activated by using the original key, acer couldn't also get it activated. The iso on which i integrated the Multi Oem project could and it still is officially activated.

7. woolie

woolie MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2014
    I have a few online bought Dell win xp and win 7 machines and have had no
    problems reinstalling; however, they were all mine and not reserved for customers...:)