ISO not mounting?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by donalgodon, May 17, 2013.

1. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I have noticed that since I've upgraded from Core to Pro, ISO files no longer mount without error when double clicked as they once did. I get an error that says,

Couldn't mount file' 'Sorry there was a problem mounting the file'

The ISOs are good. They aren't corrupted, and they actually do mount, but the error is annoying. Is there any real fix for this?

2. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    You just need to to control panel and go to Default Programs. Then go to Set Default Programs then select Windows Disc Image Burner. Then "Choose Defaults for this Program" (If they are all checked, uncheck and click save then recheck them again and hit save once more). This did the trick for me when I went this mysteriously happened to me one day.

3. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I tried that, but sadly, it didn't work. I'll keep trying. Maybe there's some other variable involved. The odd thing is that it worked fine with Core, but failed with Pro, even on a clean install.

4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    You should try changing the Virtual CD drive letter in Computer Management. Do you also have external drives or peripherals such as SD Cards inserted?

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe a bit Off Topic!

As the "modern" computers didn't has any floppy drive any more, there 2 drive letters not used: A and B.

Those could be used for mounting ISO's or others processes. I use them for Data ans special Apps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #6 EFA11, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    Since day one running windows 8, I've had external drives and sd cards plugged in and have always had mounting error messages. Even though I get error messages the image does get mounted and assigned a drive letter.

Are you seeing the error and not checking for the mounted drive? At first I never thought to check the drive listing, but sure enough its always there. The only time I haven't seen an image mount is when the image was in use by another program or was in fact corrupt.

Maybe Ill pull all the drives and see if the error still occurs.

-edit-
    The default program is and has always been explorer, that isn't the problem.
    I removed all drives except the cd/dvd player and there are no errors.

It appears to be just the SD card that causes the error, I can plug in as many external drives as I have ports for with a hub and have no problems mounting, it is the SD card I use for readyboost that is causing the error message. But as I said earlier, it does still mount.

7. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    How do I change that drive number? I do have an SD card inserted.

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    ok that solved the problem. I set the SD card that I use for readyboost to B: and now there is no error message.

To change your SD drive letter, open run (winkey+R) and type diskmgmt.msc
    right click your SD card and change the letter.

I used Bee and it worked for meee. Weird too, never considered changing the SD drive letter, not that I SHOULD have to. Thank you MS for once again proving your worth lol

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Open Drive Management, right click on the the Virtual CD Drive and click Change Drive Letter and Path's, click change and chose an different drive letter which is still free, example A or B click OK and OK

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    or that, for me the SD card is in 24/7 so it made more sense to give it a permanent drive letter and allow the isos to be mounted to dynamic (as needed) drive letters. Works thought, either way.

11. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Changing the drive letter to B solved it for me.

Thanks to all who helped.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Good to see the problem solved now!

13. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Glad to help. I sorta figured that was the issue :animatedwink:

14. cycloner11

cycloner11 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2013
    think you

verygood!
    TKS!