Issue tabbing into World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Iluvhir, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Iluvhir

Iluvhir MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2009
    Hello, friends.
    I was just wondering if you've any idea as to why I'm in this predicament; every time I want to tab into World of Warcraft on my notebook with Windows 7 x64 installed, it takes quite a while. Tabbing out of the game is fast, and if I play in windowed mode, both tabbing in and out is fast. It's only when I want to tab in again that it takes a while. We're not talking mere seconds here; sometimes it takes a minute. I don't want to play in windowed mode, however, as I see some FPS drop if I do, so this is an annoying problem.
    Also, the time it takes to tab in varies rather much. Sometimes it's a few seconds, and sometimes a minute, like I mentioned before. There seems to be no connection between the "delay" and the, how should I put this, demands on the computer by the game. I can stay in a cottage far away from everything where I have 120 FPS and it can still take a minute to tab in. And sometimes, in an instance, it's instantenous. Weird; makes no sense to me.
    Obviously, I downloaded the latest video drivers from nVidia (got a Geforce GT 120M with 1GB vram), and it didn't help at all, and so here I am. The computer appears to work splendidly in all other regards, being fast and lovely etc. It's an ASUS X70IO notebook, with 17,3'' display, if that helps your assessment. Could it be that I somehow installed W7 wrongly? Is there some other driver that I need to install/update? I am clueless and will be very grateful for any adice you can give me.

Thanks in advance,
    Ilùvhîr

2. jam4

jam4 MDL Novice

May 2, 2007
    sounds like it is swapping a large chunk of wow out to the disk, then when you bring the game back to the foreground, it has to read all that back in.

3. Iluvhir

Iluvhir MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2009
    And how do I solve this? Any ideas?
    I've a friend who's using W7 as well, and he's got no problem with anything like this, neither on his stationary computer nor on his laptop.
    Is it a hardware problem, then?

Thanks

4. Sunlessdawn

Sunlessdawn MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    It's a known error in older nVidia drivers and can be fixed by installing the latest version, which you can get from the nvidia website, current version is 191.07 I believe.

5. bambara

bambara MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #5 bambara, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    He already said he downloaded latest drivers. You're drive isn't fragmented by any chance is it? Did you check WoW's technical support forum? Maybe they have something there about this issue.

EDIT: Your CPU is able to handle 64-bit?