Issue with Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ExpL0, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ExpL0

ExpL0 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2010
    Hey, I´ve got an issiue with a HDD. I want to use it as 2nd HDD, its a 160GB one. The problem is that when I plug it in and use my first HDD as boot device the Windows start screen shows up where those 4 colored dots form a Windows Symbol, I got WIndows 7. From that point nothing more happens. When I unplug the 2ND HDD everything works fine. I already tryed to format it. I put XP Install CD in and when I wanted to delte the parition of the 2nd HDD it said That it can´t acces to this Harddrive. I can´t even Install Windows XP on it.. Well, my BIOS recognizes it and XP Setup does too, but it simpy can´t do anything with it.

I´m totally planless whats wrong. Does someone got an Idea?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    1* 1TB HDD
    2nd HDD 160GB
    6 Gig DDR3 RAM
    Intel core i5 750
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 465

Ahh and Both HDD`s are SATA

Thanks for any help!

2. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Likley your second drive has a problem, sounds like the PCB. If you cannot access the drive at all it's prolly dead. If you cannot run the mfg diagnostics on it on another known good PC, pretty much confirms it's dead. It could have a non windows formatting on it but the mfg. diagnostics should see it if it's functional.

Some older drives had a sata 150 jumper on them and in 1 rare time ever I've seen a drive not be accessable due to the jumper being there.

Of course check your cables...swap suspect ones.

3. ExpL0

ExpL0 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2010
    Well, I tryed it on 2PC´s already. Was my suggestion too, that it´s simply dead. I guess that the BIOS does not need a 100percent working HDD to get information that it´s 160GB big, but I´m surprised that windows doesn´t start with it choosed as 2nd HDD drive. Probably Winows needs to put files on it to be able to work with it, and it continiue trying it but it cant work probably? Also, there´s no kind of sound coming from the HDD, probably it´s really just dead. Ill check this programm, if it doesnt work I´ll try to open the HDD and look inside it. It could be that there´s a physical damage which I could fix, if not, well , first time I saw an HDD´s inside then :D

4. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    If you open the drive you will ruin it. Hard drives can only be opened in a 100 clean room. Simply run the full mfg. diagnostics (bootable floppy/CD). If they don't see the drive it's dead.

There is nothing you can fix inside of a hard drive. Opening it will not help you recover any data, in fact may make it impossible to recover any data at all.

5. ExpL0

ExpL0 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2010
    Okey, my luck is that there´s nothing important on it. It would just be nice to get it running again. I´ll test it tommorrow I guess, I don´t had that much time last days. I´ll tell you the result. Thanks so far!

6. samy123

samy123 MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Check the jumper settings of the Hard Drive

Hi, have you checked the jumper settings of the hard drive? If not, just change the settings to slave. I'm quite sure that your hard drive is still master-jumpered even though it is acting as slave. What make is the hard drive?

7. cynics

cynics MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2008
    have you tried a different cable?

8. martincrow

martincrow MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2011
    I am not a expert in this issue, but want to know that is there any issue with the compatibility of the 2nd hard drive with the first one.

9. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    +1

Got to go with Master/Slave or Cable Select. I'm with you though, M/S is better choice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...