Issues activating genuine Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mr_recci, Aug 2, 2015.

1. mr_recci

mr_recci MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2014
    Hi,

Straight to the point.

I've updated my genuine Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It activated, all good. I decided I wanted to do a clean install so I downloaded the MediaCreationTool and choose to download the ISO. I then created a USB stick with RUFUS with the ISO I just downloaded. I booted from the USB, formatted the SSD (with activated Windows 10 on in) and installed a clean version. I skipped the serial page during the install.

Now my Windows 10 gives me the following error:

error code: 0xc004c003: The activation server determined the specific product key has been blocked.

It gives me the option to 'Go to Store' where I can select the option 'Free' which returns the error 'Something happened on our end, please try again later'.

Is my Windows going to activate itself?
    Any other tips?

2. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Only thing I can say is, give it time? It will activate itself hopefully. Maybe servers are still getting too many activation requests? Either that or get ready to do the while thing over again.

3. umbrokhan786

umbrokhan786 MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2015
    When you Upgraded to Windows 10 did you connect to the internet and check Windows 10 is activated and then did a clean install?

4. mr_recci

mr_recci MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2014
    Yes, I've read all the posts and made sure.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Just wait, keep trying to activate, seen a few people with the same error, it fixes itself eventually

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you'd used any Product Key while doing the clean install, even your old genuine one of W7, you'll have that problems! Just do an clean install again and did NOT use any Product Key and if asked for, just skip! After that the activation will be done sometime!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Win 10 isn't able to recognize any Win 7/8/8.1 keys at all and will always show 'Invalid Key' :cool2::

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Inforplay

Inforplay MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    I have the same problem.Updated my Windows 7 Pro, I activated it online after installation, and when did the clean install, I can not activate.I have even called Microsoft, but could not turn the telephonic service. Any tips?

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I for myself didn't had any problems with activating after successfully done the Upgrade to Windows 10 on either Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8/8.1! Done for all machines after the Upgrade a clean install and that worked fine to get activated without the use of any Product Key! Even on the 'Dinosaur' machine with 10 years old MB, and a need of doing the clean install 3 times of Windows 10, activation worked just fine without the use of any Product Key!!

And just to note: I could speak only for my own Experiences and NOT for anything anybody else may has done!

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Wanna smile ....?

:D:

cute-kitty.jpg

11. cepheid46e2

cepheid46e2 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    #11 cepheid46e2, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015

I had this problem for 4 days before finding a solution and I was coming from legitimate Windows 8.1 w/ MC using the standard update upgrade path. Depending on how you upgraded MS may have your hardware ID attached to a KMS serial or some other serial (W10 preview) stopping you from activating. For me the solution was update my motherboard bios to change the HW ID. Worked like a charm and updated W10 on the next startup.

*I would only recommend this if you don't see the "Activate" button in your "Updates and Security". Also make sure to backup the bios prior to making any changes..

12. mr_recci

mr_recci MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2014
    After three days it still didn't want to activate so I just reinstalled Windows 7, used my legit key, upgraded to Windows 10, activated straight away and used the Disk Cleanup to remove the Win7 files. Didn't want to try the whole thing all over again, took long enough.

13. umbrokhan786

umbrokhan786 MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Microsoft should have made it more clear about clean install.
    From Windows 10 teach preview build 10240 can't aactivate on clean install.

14. Edwe

Edwe MDL Member

Sep 1, 2011
    What!!! I havent seen other reports of this :eek: