Issues in Upgrading from OEM Windows 8.1 to windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bigbyte, Jul 31, 2015.

1. bigbyte

bigbyte MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    I have a Dell laptop with Windows 8.1 OEM 64 bit installed that came with Laptop from DELL.

I created an ISO for Win10 Home 64 bit using the media creation tool. Now if I run the setup from DVD created from iso within Windows 8.1, it asks me a product key with no skip option. It doesn't, of course, accepts the win 8.1 key extracted from BIOS as the key is not upgraded yet as a Win 10 key.

If I boot from the DVD created by ISO and selct the upgrade option it asks me to go to windows and do it from there (previous step)

What to do, please suggest. My windows is genuine 8.1.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You have to go through the upgrade process with your internet connection active at least once to get your hardware on the MS servers.
    After you successfully do that and it shows "activated" in settings->update->activation pane, you can then clean install.
    During clean install, you skip key because your hardware is on the servers from the upgrade process.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    i'm not sure you understood the question :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Wishbringer

Wishbringer MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    #5 Wishbringer, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    @akhmedtaia:
    bigbyte didn't wrote anything about VL.
    He wrote about an at Dell purchased Laptop with preinstalled Win 8.1 with Key in UEFI.

@bigbyte:
    Did you start Setup.exe of ISO under Windows or did you boot from DVD?
    I installed upgrade on about 15 computers meanwhile from Win7 or Win8.1 to Win10 (Pro and Home) and never was asked for a key when upgrading under windows.
    Only when doing a clean install DVD asks for key, where you can click on a little text field on the down left side of screen (something with "later")
    = NO BIG EASY SEEABLE BUTTON AT THE RIGHT SIDE, only a little linklike text on the opposite side

(and with lower resolution you have to scroll down before visible)
    AND
    two of thes 15 computers were laptops (Dell XPS 11 with Win 8.1 with preinstalled keys), without issues...

5. bigbyte

bigbyte MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    #6 bigbyte, Jul 31, 2015
    (OP)

My Windows 8.1 installation is not VL, it's OEM which is different from VL AFAIK.

Yes, I made the iso and run the setup.exe from the DVD with windows 8.1 running along with active internet connection.
    So basically I am trying to upgrdae, not trying to do a clean install. But it asks for a key while upgrade installation.

@ Wishbringer
    I'll try posting a screenshot.

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Don't worry, hit 'Skip' in first prompt, then 'I'll do Later' in the second :good3:.

7. bigbyte

bigbyte MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    #8 bigbyte, Jul 31, 2015
    (OP)
    But I DO NOT get the skip option.

And as I am writing this post, I am trying to upgrade a different Dell Laptop that originally came with a Windows 7 Home premium using same DVD. It didn't ask me for any key and installation has started. Let's see how it goes.

I don't know why the Win 8 laptop is not geting upgraded.

8. akhmedtaia

akhmedtaia MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2013
    i just copied ur previous replay , maybe same problem
    o_O

9. bigbyte

bigbyte MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    Here is the update.
    After the earlier problem faced from the iso created by media creation microsoft tool, I created another iso from the ESD .

This time installation started successfully and it didn't ask for any key. However, as the windo installation is about to start at 0% I get " Something happened" error. This error is not in the purple box, but in th simple grey box.
    My language option is set to English USA and I have no other language packs installed.
    Looks like this free lunch from Microsoft is not for me.

10. pozdravlyu

pozdravlyu MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    I have same problem - running a VM of 8.1, activated & updating normally, I tried to use the 10240.16384.150709-1700.TH1_CLIENTPRO-CORE_OEMRET_X64FRE_EN-US iso to upgrade & I get a SN request.
    No way to skip it.

Attached Files:

11. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Tough luck, I guess.
    May be installing another copy of Windows 8.1 in another partition, then upgrading it to Windows 10 would be a much easier solution to this mess.

But do look into this folder:
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\
    especially, files: setuperr.log and setupact.log for clues as to what might be causing this.

12. pozdravlyu

pozdravlyu MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    You may be right Fckr.
    I will look at the files thanks for the tip.
    I'm interested to see that W7 upgrades apparently aren't giving this issue & that made me wonder if there is something else going on thats specific to w8.1.

13. akhmedtaia

akhmedtaia MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2013
    u can skip serial during installation if u use that code
    open new txt file , copy&paste , save it as : Ei.cfg
    it's for skip sn :*

14. Ahsan

Ahsan MDL Senior Member

Dec 3, 2009
    install the microsoft provided core key from their website.

15. bigbyte

bigbyte MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    OK Friends, here is the update:

The iso created by media creation tool failed : it always asked me for a key with no skip option
    The iso creatd from 10240 esd, downloaded from MS servers failed, it gave me the unexplained "something happened" error
    I downloaded the official iso for my language from Ms servers using this link microsoft. c0m /en-us/ software-download / windows10

Now with third iso the installation went successfully and as I am writing this post I am on upgrading Windows Black screen which is at 19%. Let's see how it goes. I'll keep the thread updated.

16. bigbyte

bigbyte MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    finally, the iso downloaded from microsoft website did the trick. Windows 10 was installed and activated. Thanks for all those helped.

17. pozdravlyu

pozdravlyu MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    Thanks for tips guys.

I decided to wipe the 8.1 & try the same iso on a W7 + daz.
    Worked perfectly.
    Now all I need to do is kill the MS spy ware :biggrin:

18. Ahsan

Ahsan MDL Senior Member

Dec 3, 2009
    hi
    i just got a i7 dell laptop with 8.1 core ....was upgrading to 10 via go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936 this tool ....
    it downloaded 100% and then the tool verified the download , and then while creating media it says it stopped working with message " some media host has stopped working " and my whole progress was lost ......im back at 8.1

what should i do now ?

( i do have set a separate copy of windows 10 as a dual boot activated kms ) but i want my genuine windows 8.1 to upgrade to 10 as well

Ahsan

19. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    >>>>>>>: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...LEAK)/page29?p=1110616&viewfull=1#post1110616