Issues with Dell XPS OS Re-install.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by footylad, Jul 13, 2012.

1. footylad

footylad MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2012
    Hey Guys/Girls,

I recently had some issues with a Dell XPS L702x Laptop which experienced HDD Failure on the OS HDD. I had no backup disks *faceplam* and hence I have lost recovery partitions. I have reinstalled Dell OEM Windows 7 64BIT and half the drivers are not installing and its nothing like it was after factory settings!

My question is; Does anyone have a Factory Image to restore to for this machine or know of a way of obtaining one?

Regards

2. footylad

footylad MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2012
    You are correct; However - If you do some digging you will see that the Drivers for 90% of this Laptop don't work with REV A19 BIOS. This is the problem I am having. Currently have a non-functioning WIFI, no nVidia driver and half the tweaks not working on the machine.

Regards

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Then download the correct drivers...

BIOS version does NOT change hardware!

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Do what sebus says ....

All the drivers you need are on the Dell site available for free download. When you get your new system tweaked, make a System Image using Windows 7 backup utility and store it, or them ... make more than one, in a secure location. An external HDD is a great place for storage.

5. footylad

footylad MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2012
    I trolled through the DELL Forums, and yes there is an issue with a BIOS Update rendering all Drivers useless. They all fail to install or insuinate that the Hardware doesn't exist! Hence the 3GB GPU is not running in FULL HD, I have no Wireless Card and half the quick buttons don't work. I have installed all drivers on their site to my machine as well as the ones on the Drivers disk *That will install* and its still totally useless...

Thanks

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    If the update BIOS blows up, go back to one that works. Obviously the version that came with Windows 7 installed on the machine was compatible. If you can't do that, you just may be really out of luck unless Dell has a solution.

7. footylad

footylad MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2012
    Yer they have blocked BIOS Downgrading on the board. Hence I need the factory.wim from a Factory machine without a formatted drive if possible. Its a right mess at the moment!

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    The Dell site is not the only site from which to get Dell drivers and BIOS downloads ... search for others. You may have to pay a small fee to download the original BIOS version, but what's it worth to you to get fixed?

Good luck ...

9. footylad

footylad MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2012
    I have next day business warranty, I just want my machine back up and running asap rather than them messing for 2 weeks...If I could obtain the FACTORY.WIM from a working non-modified XPS then I would be good to go!

Thanks

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Don't we all!

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    A factory wim install would not even help if you have updated bios the problem is bios not original windows installation. Bios is hardware OS is software. I don't know what xps bios is i,e, award phoenix e,c,t if it is award some info from a few years back .
    P.S. the information was for a dell Inspiron 530 desktop it has an award bios . Hopefully there are more advanced members who may know switches for you dell flasher.