Issues with my laptop freezing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shansen, Nov 24, 2012.

1. shansen

shansen MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2012
    Hello,

I have a Lenovo X301 that was handed down to me.
    I put a fresh Windows 7 image on it so that I could start from scratch.
    It was working great at least I thought it was.
    I set up everything and personalizing it then all of a sudden it would randomly freeze a couple minutes after starting up.
    It will not allow me to do anything, the mouse freezes and the keyboard does nothing.
    I have checked everything and nothing seems to help.
    Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so what fixed it.

Thanks or taking the time and looking.

2. FFManHole

FFManHole MDL Member

Nov 27, 2009
  3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    The only thing I would add to FFHanHole's excellent response are these questions: Was there a period of time after you installed Windows 7 that it operated as you expected to? If there was, did you do anything during that period to maybe cause the problem and if you did do something can you reverse what you did?

Many times problems pop up after installing a new driver, program, update, added memory, reduced memory or something and the first thing you should suspect is what you just did may have caused the problem.

When you say, "It was working great at least I thought it was", I tend to believe you may have done something your computer didn't like.

4. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    #4 parapher, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    I'm not sure what type of laptop this exactly is, but from what I saw some of them has SSD's from factory. If it has Intel chipset you may check out disabling LPM (Link Power Management) as this has been known to cause freezing issues with other-than-Intel SSD's. Basically the power saving feature kicks in and the result on certain non-Intel SSD's is that it causes your system to freeze. You can see if this is the case by checking Event Viewer (Computer Management -> Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events) and seeing if you've had an eventID 9 (iaStor) error. This is fresh in my mind because I had the same thing happen to me when installing from my recently updated Win7 image and was encountering system freezes, only to remember that LMP reg fix. But this only applies when Intel Rapid Storage Technology is installed for Intel chipsets; otherwise it won't do you any good. (I'll attach the .reg fix in case it applies.)

In any case I would also get the latest chipset drivers as these are very important. I've even had freezes and total BSOD's from an unfit LAN driver.

View attachment Disable-LPM-for-SSD-(Intel-chipsets).zip