It doesn't matter if you disable telemetry or not. Windows 10 still talking to MS.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Hlx, Aug 13, 2015.

  1. Hlx

    Hlx MDL Junior Member

    May 15, 2014
    56
    13
    0
  2. Hlx

    Hlx MDL Junior Member

    May 15, 2014
    56
    13
    0
    True. I don't know why people panic so much with this spy thingy :D
     
  3. T-S

    T-S MDL Guru

    Dec 14, 2012
    3,988
    1,305
    120
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DLord

    DLord MDL Novice

    Aug 17, 2012
    19
    3
    0
    Free windows from M$, what did you expect??! :annoyed:
     
  5. Delta128

    Delta128 MDL Novice

    Apr 30, 2012
    19
    0
    0
    Don't worry, "they" listened at the far end whenever "we" are "online" anyway - way, way down the road at the big junctions. Stay offline, unplug the radios (disconnect that ethernet & pull the wireless card/adapter) and you should feel more secured from those sitting in the box truck across the road.

    But, you can't do much on the "far" end. :eek:
     
  6. jvg1992

    jvg1992 MDL Novice

    Jul 16, 2015
    3
    0
    0
    Off-course blocking them won't work as the IP addresses are hard coded but there will be for sure a workaround and it will take time. Till then, I guess disabling the packages will do.
     
  7. 2574

    2574 MDL Junior Member

    Feb 23, 2010
    57
    24
    0
    #8 2574, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Xaxa

    Xaxa MDL Novice

    Jun 9, 2010
    49
    11
    0
    I am sick of this, went back to Windows 7 rather then running tools and scripts to disable telemetry and all the spying features... when they are not really disabled in the end...
     
  9. freiwald

    freiwald MDL Member

    Jul 27, 2015
    188
    30
    10
    yes well guess what. alot of sites reported that this telemetry stuff is in windows 7 for a long time. most people jst don't know about. so if you don't want to get spied on you should rather switch to linux and disconnect your internet!
    atleast we can disable it better in 10 then in 7
     
  10. myclock

    myclock MDL Novice

    Dec 7, 2013
    19
    0
    0
    I've switched long ago from trying to block all the security holes into trying to confuse the NSA (and a lot others). I have three phones located in three parts of the state with my info, always on the move and I talk and say as much as I can, just to make them feel confident. And then, when they are not ready - boom! a fork in the eye!
     
  11. Michaela Joy

    Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

    Jul 26, 2012
    3,438
    3,578
    120
    Actually, Network administrators did know about Windows 7 and telemetry. And they took steps to curtail network traffic by not allowing error reports to be sent to Microsoft.
    It wasn't mentioned because it could easily be stopped.

    Windows 10 Home is the real offender here. It caters to the masses, and is not designed to allow power users to lock it down.

    Also, if You haven't already, it might be worth your while to take a look at the new and improved Microsoft Privacy agreement.

    Something to think about.

    :MJ
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Yen

    Yen Admin
    Staff Member

    May 6, 2007
    10,938
    10,479
    340
    Conclusion? :) I am allowed to shoot people because others have already killed more than me? :D:)



    Please elaborate this. I cannot comprehend what you say. :):confused:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Michaela Joy

    Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

    Jul 26, 2012
    3,438
    3,578
    120
    #14 Michaela Joy, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    @Yen: I must have posted my reply a few seconds before You. :)

    The reason that iPhones and Androids are "spied on" is because of the NSA prism program. My Government is actively monitoring cellular network traffic, looking for "Terrorists", as they say.

    Is this good? No. It's terrible and frightening, because our constitutional rights are being undermined by this program.

    And many Americans are very angry about it.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. YessMann

    YessMann MDL Member

    Nov 27, 2012
    207
    30
    10
    Today news:
    Lenovo computer is checked that it has something in bios no matter u clean the hdd or re-install clean os. The hidden things in bios will lead the os dl the softwares which lenovo prefer.
    Hence, windows10 is the same method!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Yen

    Yen Admin
    Staff Member

    May 6, 2007
    10,938
    10,479
    340
    #17 Yen, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. mrbbq

    mrbbq MDL Member

    Jul 18, 2015
    155
    44
    10
    I cannot comprehend the mind of anyone who states things along the lines of "Yeah it's spying but everything does so lets not bother trying because we can't do anything."

    Well... We can. And are. Again as I said in the past, data that goes in and out CAN be measured. There's no magic. It's code and ones and zeroes. Ars clearly show data going in and out - they are measuring it. It appears to be WER related - we can turn WER off (if you haven't already done so which like CEIP is just common sense...) and see if it stops. If no data is going out or coming in, they've been stopped. Completely. Undeniably.
    The same is true of the tile data. I'd be interested to know if these search checks on bing happen even with Cortana and Onedrive removed completely as some of us have done - or in the case of the search checks, if it happens to try bing when even the search engine used is changed to DDG or such (which Firefox 40 can do for you).

    Scientific method in action. Create test scenario -> review data in/out -> confirm results and act accordingly to improve the experience for US. Or we could give up and sit on our asses while they help themselves to whatever they like. The fight back is going just fine so far. We're finding the tricks and working against them. If you keep up with the tweaks and fixes it is perfectly possible to secure the OS in the end. We have already had magnificent results in doing so - and we're only just past two weeks since the official release.

    I put more faith that with how public Windows is things will be found and fixed over any Linux distro, UNIX or Android derivative than you care to name. At least the results here are public and people are trying.

    (EDIT: Okay what are the odds of two posts following each other both using "comprehend"? Great minds think alike etc!)
     
  17. nexus76

    nexus76 MDL Addicted

    Jan 25, 2009
    783
    296
    30
    EX-ACTLY! That's what I decided too, to reject it finally.
    Did you notice a lot of things don't work anymore removing the built-in flashplayer?
    Hackingteam, I say ....
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. mrbbq

    mrbbq MDL Member

    Jul 18, 2015
    155
    44
    10
    This is actually (as I understand it) a Windows "feature", not specific to Lenovo who released a removal tool for it for the certain models it turned up on;
    Windows Platform Binary Table (WPBT)

    (Yep; quoting from Slashdot user:)