It doesn't matter if you disable telemetry or not. Windows 10 still talking to MS.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Hlx, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Hlx

Hlx MDL Junior Member

May 15, 2014
  2. Hlx

Hlx MDL Junior Member

May 15, 2014
    True. I don't know why people panic so much with this spy thingy :D

3. DLord

DLord MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    Free windows from M$, what did you expect??! :annoyed:

4. Delta128

Delta128 MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2012
    Don't worry, "they" listened at the far end whenever "we" are "online" anyway - way, way down the road at the big junctions. Stay offline, unplug the radios (disconnect that ethernet & pull the wireless card/adapter) and you should feel more secured from those sitting in the box truck across the road.

But, you can't do much on the "far" end. :eek:

5. jvg1992

jvg1992 MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2015
    Off-course blocking them won't work as the IP addresses are hard coded but there will be for sure a workaround and it will take time. Till then, I guess disabling the packages will do.

6. 2574

2574 MDL Junior Member

Feb 23, 2010
    #8 2574, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Xaxa

Xaxa MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2010
    I am sick of this, went back to Windows 7 rather then running tools and scripts to disable telemetry and all the spying features... when they are not really disabled in the end...

8. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    yes well guess what. alot of sites reported that this telemetry stuff is in windows 7 for a long time. most people jst don't know about. so if you don't want to get spied on you should rather switch to linux and disconnect your internet!
    atleast we can disable it better in 10 then in 7

9. myclock

myclock MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2013
    I've switched long ago from trying to block all the security holes into trying to confuse the NSA (and a lot others). I have three phones located in three parts of the state with my info, always on the move and I talk and say as much as I can, just to make them feel confident. And then, when they are not ready - boom! a fork in the eye!

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Actually, Network administrators did know about Windows 7 and telemetry. And they took steps to curtail network traffic by not allowing error reports to be sent to Microsoft.
    It wasn't mentioned because it could easily be stopped.

Windows 10 Home is the real offender here. It caters to the masses, and is not designed to allow power users to lock it down.

Also, if You haven't already, it might be worth your while to take a look at the new and improved Microsoft Privacy agreement.

Something to think about.

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Conclusion? :) I am allowed to shoot people because others have already killed more than me? :D:)

Please elaborate this. I cannot comprehend what you say. :):confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #14 Michaela Joy, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    @Yen: I must have posted my reply a few seconds before You. :)

The reason that iPhones and Androids are "spied on" is because of the NSA prism program. My Government is actively monitoring cellular network traffic, looking for "Terrorists", as they say.

Is this good? No. It's terrible and frightening, because our constitutional rights are being undermined by this program.

And many Americans are very angry about it.

13. YessMann

YessMann MDL Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Today news:
    Lenovo computer is checked that it has something in bios no matter u clean the hdd or re-install clean os. The hidden things in bios will lead the os dl the softwares which lenovo prefer.
    Hence, windows10 is the same method!

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #17 Yen, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  15. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    I cannot comprehend the mind of anyone who states things along the lines of "Yeah it's spying but everything does so lets not bother trying because we can't do anything."

Well... We can. And are. Again as I said in the past, data that goes in and out CAN be measured. There's no magic. It's code and ones and zeroes. Ars clearly show data going in and out - they are measuring it. It appears to be WER related - we can turn WER off (if you haven't already done so which like CEIP is just common sense...) and see if it stops. If no data is going out or coming in, they've been stopped. Completely. Undeniably.
    The same is true of the tile data. I'd be interested to know if these search checks on bing happen even with Cortana and Onedrive removed completely as some of us have done - or in the case of the search checks, if it happens to try bing when even the search engine used is changed to DDG or such (which Firefox 40 can do for you).

Scientific method in action. Create test scenario -> review data in/out -> confirm results and act accordingly to improve the experience for US. Or we could give up and sit on our asses while they help themselves to whatever they like. The fight back is going just fine so far. We're finding the tricks and working against them. If you keep up with the tweaks and fixes it is perfectly possible to secure the OS in the end. We have already had magnificent results in doing so - and we're only just past two weeks since the official release.

I put more faith that with how public Windows is things will be found and fixed over any Linux distro, UNIX or Android derivative than you care to name. At least the results here are public and people are trying.

(EDIT: Okay what are the odds of two posts following each other both using "comprehend"? Great minds think alike etc!)

16. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    EX-ACTLY! That's what I decided too, to reject it finally.
    Did you notice a lot of things don't work anymore removing the built-in flashplayer?
    Hackingteam, I say ....

17. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    This is actually (as I understand it) a Windows "feature", not specific to Lenovo who released a removal tool for it for the certain models it turned up on;
    Windows Platform Binary Table (WPBT)

(Yep; quoting from Slashdot user:)