its just me or the new forums colors look ugly???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by YIN, Jan 13, 2010.

1. YIN

YIN MDL Member

May 31, 2009
    #1 YIN, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    its just me or the new forums colors look ugly??? [FIXED]

the title says all

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    The new colours etc may not be to all tastes but due to the vb4 upgrade this is work in progress.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    In my opinion it looks quite good but hey everybody has a different taste...

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Lol......no fear of that my friend.

I agree, i think the new forum style is much more sleek and better on the eyes. I think we will al be glad when the bugs are fixed. I know the admins are working hard on this. ;);)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    #5 ancestor(v), Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    No the colors aren't crap....you need to use DC instead of AC in order to watch it properly. Please buy a transformer at your local hardware store and use 224,56 volts DC.

No, seriously guys....I can't hear anything anymore. Nothing will change faster if people keep on complaining. We know the style isn't too good and we're working on it.

EDIT:
    Don't get me wrong about the first line - I'm just kidding ;) :D

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #6 burfadel, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    The colours aren't the best, but they're ok I guess!

The font is a little small, especially for this part where I'm writing now under the quick reply (for example)! Still perfectly easy to read, it just seems out of place! The text in other areas may be slightly small too... Actually its really small on second looks! The text in the actual posts is the pefect size, it just needs to be the same for the reply boxes!

On the very front page of the forum section (such as when you click on the 'Mydigitallife logo at the top left hand side of the page), the thread listing colours look great! Again, the text is a little small, some may find it more difficult to read than the old version.

The title colours, such as the 'Qucik reply' bar right above where I'm typing now, and in other areas with the same colour, looks too dull, maybe a more vibrant green/blue, not a greyish one. Actually below where I'm typing now, where it says 'Thread Information' and 'Similar Threads' the bold and size suits well, the 'Quick reply' 'Reply To thread' etc should use a similar boldness, as should the time and date stamp of each persons reply. I think I nice blue would suit well for the 'quick' reply bars and maybe a green instead of grey below. You could even make it orange instead of grey! How about a nice blue for the 'Qucikly reply, 'reply to thread' and post title bars, a dark green but shaded very lightly for the background bars (instead of the varying shades of grey) and Orange down below ;)

Edit: I was looking through the setting page on the profile, I saw there is an option for skins. I tried the 'MDL skin' instead of 'vb4 skin' and the 'reply to thread' etc was green! It didn't look as good admittedly, maybe the wrong shade of green? I think its because its a solid 2d object, whereas it would look better as a 3d object where it can have some depth. I realise the latter wouldn't be practical as it would involve graphics. I was thinking maybe just a different shade to what it is currently, as it isn't so much 'ugly', its just a little dull and grey! The logo, as described below, looks much better in the mdl theme, I think because the blue is carried around the edge of the page. Comparing the two, it is easy to see that finding a nice looking solution isn't has simple as what it may seem!

Another thing that doesn't suit, and I know I am going to be ridiculed for this... is with the styling of the new system, the logo looks a bit old! The new VB has a lot cleaner lines and finer details, the logo just doesn't suit so well :) It wouldn't require much changing, maybe just a lightening up of the background colour, making the reflections less pronounced, and making the lines cleaner between each letter. I'd think positions it a bit to the right, and having the main logo with its background in an ovral shape, then having 'living digitally and electronically' outside that oval shape. In that situation you can still have it as a block with a thick outline, maybe a slight shadow, and then the surrounding block of colour wouldn't need to be there.

You could then move the:

I like the style of the new quote box :)

To the right of the logo :)

Also the reply section is a little small, it should be around at least 50 percent higher I think! Also, the 'Advanced Reply' section is way, way too small! Its no higher than the quick reply, and its narrower! which is silly :)

These are just my thoughts, they are probably all terrible! In any case, thankyou for providing support for such a gret forum!

(the most important change for the moment is the reply section text size, its the only thing I'd complain about, the rest are merely ideas! and for aesthetics making the bold changed to the time/date stamps and reply to thread buttons) :)

7. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Uau! This was almost a speech in the Congress!:D

The colors are very pastel for my taste and I miss the dividing line for the stickies.