It's official. 22TKD-F8XX6-Y... will be WGA-blacklisted soon. What now?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by freibooter, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freibooter

freibooter MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2007
    #1 freibooter, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  2. stimey

stimey MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    I wonder if it is true, it could be FUD, how many notebook did Lenovo produce using this key yet? How many do they have to get back from shops and distribution centres? Besides, once laptops are in shops being sold with W7 there is no blacklisting anymore, unless MS wants to risk a lot of angry customers.

3. BlueZ

BlueZ MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2009
    #3 BlueZ, Jul 31, 2009
    Check the date, mate.
    How many machines do you think have gone into production with this key, as of July 31?
    One ? two ? :rolleyes:

How many have been shipped? 0.5 ? 0.25 ? :D

Of course the key is going to be blacklisted. It just came out a bit too early.

We're playing poker with MS here. And MS just called our bluff. Or, rather, we just showed our cards too quickly.

We're all too eager to get an activated OS. Let us all cool our impatience for a while.

4. freibooter

Sep 5, 2007
    I can't read much FUD into this, it seems fairly to the point, especially:
    "It's important to note that no PCs will be sold that will use this key."

The key leaked too early in the game so installing a new Image with a new key on a few Laptops at this point in the game isn't really a big deal. It was 7 Ultimate after all, machines with "Ultimate" aren't exactly produced in super-high quantities.

Yes, in a few weeks there will be no more simple key blacklisting possible any more.

And I believe that the WGA-team is still mostly focused on identifying "cr**ks" and "lo*ders" since those allow counterfeited Windows 7 retail copys, SLIC modded BIOSes aren't really too interesting for commercial counterfeiters.

Still, it would be nice to have a new key soon ... they can't blacklist them all ;)

5. hajj_3

hajj_3 Guest

if you have already activated will you be able to use windows update or will the blacklisting only stop those wanting to activate who have yet to activate their copy of win7?

6. Freewaygr

Freewaygr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    Yes yes how many times from Windows XP to Windows Vista have hear ?
    black this black blabla WGA lala

We are always the Winners :D

7. stimey

stimey MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    #7 stimey, Jul 31, 2009
    I doubt they only made a few test machines, unless someone high up at Lenovo IT dept leaked the key, if they went on a production line there can be a lot of desktops and laptop made with this key. Who knows. The only way for MS to blacklist this key is via windows update anyways, off line activation will still work. So for now don't install any "critical" updates from windows update. Then when desktops and laptops hit the stores with W7 pre-installed we just change the key with slmgr.vbs, no sweat :eek:

8. BlueZ

BlueZ MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2009
    Good Point !

That's indeed very true. A good point.

9. stimey

stimey MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Activation using this method happen off line, no connection to MS is made, you can unplug/disconnect form the network if you want while you use slmgr.vbs to set the cert and key.

10. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    "The Windows Activation Technologies included in Windows 7 are designed to handle situations such as this one, and customers using these tools and methods should expect Windows to detect them."

What's this BS about? Doesn't 7 use the same technologies as Vista?

11. freibooter

Sep 5, 2007
    Blacklisting doesn't affect the activation process (since this is not done remotely), it does however affect Windows Update and the build-in WGA. Using Windows Update manually won't be possible any more once the key is blacklisted and WGA will watermark your system with "not geniune" in several places and probably bug the hell out of you with frequent pop-ups.
    I don't think much else will happen though, as far as I know even "non-geniune" systems remain activated and can still be used for an unlimited amount of time ...

12. hajj_3

hajj_3 Guest

then how will MS block it if the activation is done offline? Surely the only way would be through a WGA update on windows update wouldn't it?

EDIT: you just answered my question in the above post.

13. sunnybear

sunnybear MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    it's pointless for MS to have a new oem key release. as everyone knows, once the new oem key releases, we can all get it with no problem. and for MS, they have to spend money and man power to settle with oem companys. at least, i am not concerned

14. Freewaygr

Freewaygr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
  15. hajj_3

hajj_3 Guest

but millions of p2p users will have installed win7 and have it saying win7 is pirated, lots of those users may just think the activator no longer works and give up.

If a key is released in 3 weeks time it is unlikely to get blacklisted as many pc's will have been manufactured with win7 installed by then.

16. freibooter

Sep 5, 2007
    #16 freibooter, Jul 31, 2009
    (OP)
    It's the old cat and mouse game and Microsoft is willing to play it. I personally believe them when they are saying that their main focus is on commercial counterfeiters.
    With the OEM key, the lo*ders and an OEM image counterfeiters can create and distribute illegal copies that aren't easy to distinguish from the real thing for the untrained eye. It's those copies that Microsoft wants to prevent ...

Additionally, since Lenovo leaked the key I'm pretty sure that they will have to bear the burden of the cost and I don't think it is a lot ...

17. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl MDL Member

Aug 11, 2007
    #17 ZakMcRofl, Jul 31, 2009
    So what? We'll get the new key and use that one instead. Changing the key takes what, 1 minute including the Google search?

The only one this move would hurt is people who are selling pirated copies of Win 7 to unsuspecting customers. And those scumbacks deserve to get some angry customers.

Also:
    I believe he's refering to us bios modders :D

18. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Why even worry about a key now. Rearm will get close enough to 10/22 where you will know that tens of thousands of Windows7 PCs will have already been shipped.

19. mick711

mick711 MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2008
    You can't for the moment buy a computer with seven so why you try to activate seven ? When seven whas out yes because like Lenovo it's not probleme i think just new bios and key or if bios have activation and just key is blacklisted new key and if microsoft put one key for 10000 PC for OEM it's very difficulte for blacklisting all key :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    but from what we've seen during the last days when the key leaked, there was no such ability to detect those hacks :D