I've Learned NOT To Install The Gigabyte Motherboard Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rock Hunter, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I learned by trial and error with two installs that turned bad. The MB drivers need work for Windows 10. On the third install I left those drivers off and the system runs OK.

There was one driver that I had to install and that is the Ethernet driver. Without it, no internet. So I installed the driver to enable the device and it seems stable enough.

2. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Now how do you fix the Gigabyte mobo will not boot to USB ? gets old burn to DVD all the time. at least they are RW's but still old.

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Afaik that is an option of BIOS/UEFI and not any installed OS :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    The "One Click" options on many of the cds/dvds often also add toolbars/ norton trial, etc.
    You are better off manually installing the driver you need by browsing the media, or better still, get the latest driver from the manufacturer and install that...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    The Bios allows
    1. USB - HDD
    2. USB - Floppy
    3. USB -zip
    4. USB - CDRom
    but will not accept a bootable USB
    I made Bootable with
    Windows 7 USB Maker
    Windows 8 USB Maker
    UltraISO
    Rufus
    even tested on Factory Made by
    Dell
    HP
    Acer

and I tested every option on several USBs USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 since I was told that only USB 2.0 would work as bootable on Gigabyte.

All the USB work fine on every thing else I have tested except GigaByte Mobo ... and the Gigabyte will only allow Boot to DVD to install Windows ...
    so when I have to Boot to media to restore by Image using Acronis or Paragon i also have to use a CD (also RW).
    so was wondering how to bypass that annoying as hell Gigabyte option. is all.

PS: This is the latest Bios offered by GigaByte... also.

6. JJJohan

JJJohan MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2010
    I have an older Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard, and the USB-HDD boot option is what I use to boot to USB (as in, USB flash drives).

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    where any of those attempts with Fat32? just curious

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Although check the use of F8 and F12 for to get the Boot Manager of the Gigabyte MB to work. Check BIOS Settings anyway that you allowed to from other devices!

9. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    The latest drivers on the Gigabyte web site are for Windows 8.1 and some of them cause errors and strange behavior in Windows 10. So that is why I went as simple as possible. That means the Windows install. Then the one driver needed to get my Ethernet working. Finally the Windows Updates.

10. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    That's what I do, press F12 and select UEFI Kingston Traveler. No difficulty in getting the system to boot from the USB.

11. nicktorn

nicktorn MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Had to chime in to say that I will never be buying a Gigabyte motherboard again after using the GA-P67A-UD4 for several years. Takes 20-30 seconds to get to the Windows loading screen, it was nearly unusable until 5 BIOS revisions into its life and the system locks up randomly if you install the Marvell or IRST drivers on any OS.

Back on topic, I was also having a lot of Windows 10 issues using the latest drivers from the GB website. The only one that was necessary was Ethernet, using the stock driver MS provides I couldn't get more than a 10Mbps link.

12. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    I am inclined to agree with you about Gigabyte. In the past I always built my computers with ASUS MBs. This time I first went with an MSI gaming mb but it stopped working after 3 weeks. I sent it back and got the Gigabyte gaming mb. It works well. With ASUS I never had to install a driver to get the Ethernet to work because Windows always installed the proper driver. Not so with Gigabyte. On the other hand, I like their automated update utility. It is easier than ASUS where it is necessary to download each update and install each update manually. Next time, back to ASUS.

13. craig62

craig62 MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2012
    #13 craig62, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Had similar issues with my 970A-D3P I just install the Ethernet and USB 3 drivers from da CD, with this 10TP. As for bootable USB Options, what a nightmare. I can only use USB 3 to boot Windows and Acronis Rescue. But I only found out how, after a lot of Googling. Esp making a bootable UEFI USB Media Windows 7, or changing from GPT to MBR
    ... just before clicking install :) As for now it works o_O

14. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    My last Gigabyte is current in use, but I will not use again.
    probably go back to ROCK or MSI

15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I got to agree that when it comes to most NEW mb's it takes MONTHS to get a decent bios. Most of the time it's due to compatibility.
    How many different ram specs are out there? OC ram...
    Well, we have so many options to choose from, parts from so many manufacturers...

Even if you have an intel chipset with intel usb3, your motherboard may also have additional usb3 chipsets added. Via, Nec/Renesas, Asmedia..
    Not all have native support in Windows.

Over time all motherboard man. have had dodgy boards. Dodgy capacitors. Lack of support.
    2 of the most rock solid boards I've ever used were the Iwill BD100 & more recent Foxconn P67A-S. Such a cheap board, minimal components but so stable & reliable!