Join the Battle for Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by CHEF-KOCH, Nov 22, 2017.

1. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #1 CHEF-KOCH, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    E.g. China does not have net neutrality. Almost everything coming into the country from outside is utterly filtered to hell and back. They do have a vibrant tech economy though. So they have their own Google (Baidu). They have their own Twitter (Weibo), WhatsApp(WeChat), Amazon(Tao Bao).
    [​IMG]
    So in the future of no net-neutrality, we'll see ISPs being value-added resellers of their own regionally partitioned versions of these services, probably developed by various ISVs. It will be a bit like the BBS days I imagine. It goes along with the Trump political theme of anti-globalization.

Source:
    https://www.battleforthenet.com

Research:

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The EU has made their own rules and hence it does not affect Europe in the near future.
    They just have to be careful such US tendencies do not infect them...they have to become aware that they have to do their own job just like the climate agreement....Independence from US regulations

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
  5. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    His arguments are garbage he compares apples with bananas. E.g. he mentioned that you watch the movie but aren't able to change something in there, but that's exactly what you pay for. Compared to your ISP, you pay for Upload and download and not that the ISP makes money (seperate) by selling your data which you never was informt off. So the movie argument is useless because that would mean you pay for the movie and while you sit in the room they monitor and spy you at the same time to obtain your best .. your money. There are a lot of more points in his letter but this guy has no point, the internet should be more open and that's the point, everyone sells your data and you can't do anything about it there is no transparency ... It's all about control and that's the real point.

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @chef: I agree. And control = money, since money is power.

What people seem to forget is that somebody invested in the current infrastructure. And a staggering amount of money to boot. Now they want to monetize it as much as possible (i.e. make the most profits.)

This is not the first case where Federal laws were standing in the way of profits.

And it won't be the last...

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    That person is full of crap.
    The ISP's over charge it's customers enough to more than make up the difference to pay for Netflix. It's more like corporate greed that the fear they may lose higher than last years profits is the true fact of removing Net Neutrality

The writer wants you to believe "those poor selfless ISP's barely made a decent living" Comcast is one of the largest corps in the U.S.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Comcast's earnings for 2016;
    http://www.cmcsa.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1009218

And removing Net Neutrality will give Comcast more earnings

9. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Their greed is sickening is very sad.

10. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    GamesIndustry.biz warns that ISPs could introduce premium gaming plans that give you high-speed access to services like Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Steam. If you're a serious gamer and want fast download speeds and low latency for online gaming on these services, you'd have no choice but to pay the extra money to subscribe.

:nono2:

11. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    If they are going to be allowed to do such "value added" things, then there better be no more rules either saying that only Telco "X" and Cableco "Y" are able to connect to my house. Instead of ATT and Comcast, I should be able to pick Earthlink, Frontier, FIOS, Mediacom, Charter, or any other company that wants to sell me service and the local Telco and Cableco have to provide other ISPs access to their wire. The one that has the best price and doesn't mess with the data has my business.

In other words if you're going to deregulate, get rid of the monopolies while you're at it. Otherwise people have no choice other than moving to another location to get the Internet access they want.

12. emk810

emk810 MDL Member

May 12, 2016
  13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oych, the idiocy of GOP knows no bounds....

net neutrality.jpg

:p

14. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Congressman Receives Death Threat over Net Neutrality´

"Listen Mr. Katko, if you support net neutrality, I will support you. But if you don't support net neutrality, I will find you and your family and I will kill... you ... all. Do you understand? I will literally find all... of ... you and your progeny and just wipe you from the face of the earth." The caller also went on to say that net neutrality was more important that US defense, free speech and healthcare and that it is "literally the basis of the new society."

:nono2:

15. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I got this popup when visiting MDL this AM, I didn't click it as I don't ever click on popups.
    *I was using a unregistered (visitor) account to visit MDL atm.
    NTS I thought I'd let everyone know about this popup today.

MDL Blocked by ISP.jpg I

16. emk810

emk810 MDL Member

May 12, 2016
  17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #17 Joe C, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    If we can get the ISP's ceo's out of the FCC there could be a chance to bring net neutrality back

We can clearly blame that stupid "genius" we call our president

18. TKnuckles

TKnuckles MDL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2017
    What are the consequences of the repeal on Serbia? I don't have any problem...