Jpg thumbnails not showing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by fat_cap, Jan 4, 2011.

1. fat_cap

fat_cap MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2011
    I have a really baffling problem at the moment with my Windows Explorer not showing .jpg thumbnails anymore.

I have gone through multiple sites suggesting workarounds and ways to fix it such as - unchecking the folder options, setting performance to "adjust for best performance" and deleting thumbnails from disk cleanup then doing a reset even down to changing registry setting all to no avail. I uninstalled various image browsing programs such as irfanview and ACDSee (both of which showed the thumbnails fine) but still no joy.

The strange thing is that it looks like there is thumbnails available for the jpgs just they are not shown for some reason. To test this I navigated to my "inspiration folder" - a folder containing thousands of jpgs and, switching to VIEW> LARGE ICONS - I see the images refresh and show me their thumbnail correctly... however they quickly revert back to the Photoshop Icon. Scrolling down through the folder, this happens again - the thumbnails show correctly then refresh back to their Photoshop Icon. This happens with all folders - the proper thumbnails show up when I refresh the folder view by changing to a different View> ICON SIZE but then revert back to the Photoshop Icon.

Can anybody help me with this as it is driving me crazy! Having to use ACDSee or Adobe bridge just to view a folder's thumbnails seems like total overkill for something which used to just "work".

2. cynics

cynics MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2008
    give ccleaner a try. cleanup the entire system.