Judge: Fifth Amendment doesn't protect encrypted hard drives

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by exo-dan, Jan 24, 2012.

1. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Yeah; thay's the ticket! "The drive has a bad block or something. Let me run this tool (Active@ KillDisk) to fix it.":clap3:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    I thought even forcing defendant decrypting the data would be the same as forcing defendant to incriminate him/herself?

Perhaps it's a matter of taste, but I prefer http://www.truecrypt.org/ over PGP any day. :confused:

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    By the time they get the warrant to come in your front door the drive could be swimming in the ocean. :eek:Unless they intend to kick down the door, in that case my Glock could find some use. :rolleyes:

5. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    #5 bludgard, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    Hammer for the disk; Howitzer for the Babylon.:sniper:

Edit: It would seem that if there is dirt on a storage device, it should be kept to oneself and locked away in safe place. The woman in OPs referrenced article appears to have put her stuff out in the streets. Dumb***.