July 29th - What changed, What hasn't?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Bezalel, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Now that the upgrade program has officially ended, what changed and what remains the same?

Seems like the GWX and the standard upgrade assistant no longer work.

The "Assistive Technologies" upgrader works (for now).

What about running Setup from the DVD?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Yesterday the normal upgrade still worked to get a HWID, have exhausted all my testsystems, only vmwares :)

3. S_SubZero

S_SubZero MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I just did a test machine that was never on Windows 10, and after typing in it's Windows 7 key, it... activated normally. 8)

Seems the upgrade ending was followed by a huge "*WINK WINK*"

4. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Nice info bro. I still have 1 notebook running Windows 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Raa007

Raa007 MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2010
    The AT upgrader is the only thing that allows me to do "free" upgrades now.
    GWX I understand is no longer offered through WU, and I believe it may be removed soon for those that have it?

6. johnrambo99

johnrambo99 MDL Novice

May 20, 2015
    Does w7 + DAZ loader + online validation as a base for the genuineticket.xml still get w10 activated on a device that has never had w10 installed before? Or do I have to go through the hassle of using the assistive technologies updater that will download the installation files and go through the painful update procedure from now on?

Thanks.

7. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #9 dobbelina, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Did this route (Win 7 Ultimate + Daz loader => Win 10 Pro) work for you on Vmware yesterday you mean?
    From USB media I might add, and all the way to validated...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Raa007

Raa007 MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2010
    See my post above. But for me, yes AT is the only way it's working for me now.

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Something tells me that an awful lot of people with disabilities using ATs will suddenly appear out of nowhere to claim their free W10 upgrade. Let's hope they don't also claim welfare benefits, or our taxes will double.

10. hb860

hb860 MDL Addicted

May 7, 2010
    #12 hb860, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    News to me, but I just read where Microsoft has change the hardware specs to make 2GB RAM for 32 bit systems the minimum required. Mostly that won't affect me but I do have a couple of netbooks with 2GB RAM running Windows 10 x86 very well. It'll be interesting to see how the Anniversary update works with them. This may be the thing that pushes me back to Linux Mint for them. No matter, I like Linux Mint and I have images.

My son has a laptop with 3GB RAM on his x64 Windows 10 installation. That one worries me a bit, but he likes Windows 7 so we'll see.

12. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Unless I'm mistaken that's a requirement only for new 32-bit OEM systems sold with 1607 pre-installed.

13. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #15 dobbelina, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    I can just confirm that this still works fine, you can even use an old Win 7 media without servicepack 1. :clap:

I wonder, as Vmware is "all virtual", wouldn't the fingerprint/HWID created be identical, (Or very similar)
    on a lot of machines?
    Hence maybe you can fresh install without going thru the Win 7 hoop, as it will be registered on MS servers already the first time
    somebody did the upgrade?

14. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2015
    One big thing that happened, I use MSN.COM for my home page.....No more FREE Windows 10 ads.....it's about freaking time !!!

15. johnrambo99

johnrambo99 MDL Novice

May 20, 2015
    Hey, good news.

Today I gave the known good method of w7+Daz+online validation and genuineticket.xml a try on an old Core Duo Sony notebook and a custom cheap PC. Used w10 Pro v1511 as the fresh w10 install for the xml file... both activated successfully.

So, it "ended" :animatedwink: on the 29th... or probably this has to do with the assistive technologies upgrade that's still in place allowing activation to happen.

16. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Well, the Start menu look changed yet again, I wonder when MS will settle down to something final.
    I also wonder how those that installed the Classic Shell start are affected.

17. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #19 PhaseDoubt, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

Now that's interesting. So if I install a 32 bit retail version of 7 on a machine with 1GB RAM, and upgrade it to Windows 10, I can install the anniversary update. I'll have to check that out.

On a somewhat different note, I installed the Anniversary Update on three x64 machines last night and this morning. For the most part it went really well. I installed via the downloaded Upgrade Assistant.

I’ve had no compatibility issues and so far all machines have been running quite well. Many of my privacy settings were reset during each installation so they had to be put to where I wanted them.

The only real “problem” I have is that Alphawaves’ Windows 10 Login Changer no longer is able to bypass the lock screen. When I tried to use it, I got an error message saying changes would have to be made via Settings.

On my virtual machine, the process started well with the system check saying my disk space was sufficient. But when I started the actual update, it failed saying there was insufficient disk space. No matter, that’s a project for a different time.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

18. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Yes, can't say I like it. 1511's was better IMO. However it's old news for Insiders and those of us following updates on tech sites.

I believe Classic Shell has already been updated for RS1, so don't see what the problem is. Users should be fine as long as they update and their settings should remain intact.