Just a quick question about the WMC key distributed from Microsoft.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Shahe, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Shahe

Shahe MDL Member

Feb 25, 2011
    So guys, I got a free WMC key from Microsoft, afterwards I reinstalled my Windows, and of course used the same key again. I was wondering if anyone knows how many times am I allowed to use the same key? Thanks in advance!

2. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    On the same computer, as many times as you like. On a different computer, never.

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Yep, as usual for a Retail Key :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    found a little glitch with that - I activated with the WMC key Ok before installing all my drivers, after all the drivers were installed and rebooted got the watermark on the desktop and when I looked at the activation it said the key was being used on another computer!!! strange it's exactly the same computer.

5. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Windows 8 activation is very sensitive to any "hardware changes". A low level driver can be seen as a change and ask for re-activation.
    What to do when installing W8 is to install all majors drivers for your Motherboard, RamDisk if you use one, codecs pack, before attempting to activate Windows.
    (I had the same problem just installing DataRam Ramdisk last week)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SiKo279

SiKo279 MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2009
    I found out that if you want to install the same key on a different system (or changed system apparently), you can use phone activation and it will work!

7. Shahe

Shahe MDL Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Thanks for the informative answers! :) Love the forums :)

8. wolf69

wolf69 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I reinstalled windows 8 on my other drive same pc and it wouldn't take the key so I contacted Microsoft and he gave me a new key

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    If you have a actual Legit Key you should report it to microsoft as i've seen several cases where this really should not happen, it looks more like a glitch/bug the Activation system in 8 has.