Just a quick question

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by anarchynow, Feb 10, 2009.

1. anarchynow

anarchynow MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    #1 anarchynow, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    Hi guys,

Im just thinking bout modding my bios - had some problems with softmods.

I would just like to know the following.

1. Do i just flash the modded bios and thats it? No other steps?

2. I have uninstalled Vista loader, but will this affect the bios mod working at all?

3. Can I flash the bios from windows...or should use a boot CD?

4. Any other tips to make this go smoothly and safely are appreciated.

I just opened up the modded bios i downloaded and found the following files:
    9659s3.f12
    autoexec.bat
    flash895.exe

Do i just burn these onto a bootable cd? Can someone point me to a tutorial or post on how to do this (what steps) with the least risk?

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    1. Flash the modded bios, clear cmos and load defaults in bios. Then you need to install the cert and serial per the directions in the pack located at the top of the thread all slics-tested and not tested. It is named 39 slics or something like that.

2.The vista loader must be COMPLETELY gone. Sometimes this means to repair the MBR. It could affect the functioning of the activation process.

3.Depending on the BIOS and your luck, windows may work. I strongly advise against it. For GB boards Qflash is a viable alternative. For ASUS boards, EZFlash may work. Depends on who (and how) modded the bios, mostly. Some of us consistantly have bios that will flash with ezflash, while others..not so much..:D
    Plan on a boot disk. Quick, easy, and highly predictable...

4.Make sure you have all you need for activation. If you are uncertain on any part, ask a question. Do not use the AWD automod tools. The AMI may be used with Andyp's tool, but research the method and be sure to read the posts.

It is not bad to request a mod, and to pick who does it. It is your board, and you have to be comfortable with the modification method. If you are unsure about a step, review the particulars.

And finally...research recovery procedures for your board. There is always....always...a chance of bad flash, or other problem that will render the board unbootable..

Good luck...:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. anarchynow

anarchynow MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    Thanks heaps, Medic

Your post has helped...... Do i repair the MBR by using bootsect in vista repair mode? What commands should I use?

Also - can you point me to a post or a tutorial that shows me exactly how to make a reliable boot disk for flashing a bios?

Thanks heaps.

4. anarchynow

anarchynow MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    I also can not find my motherboard in that list - so i have no idea how to find the certificates and serials?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte
    GA-965P-S3 Rev 3.3

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. anarchynow

anarchynow MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    Wow 911 Medic....thanks heaps!

I dont really care which cert - just whichever u reckon. And I am using Vista only.

And yes - i think the 3.3 is quite different to the 1.0

IS this enough info?

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #7 911medic, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  8. anarchynow

anarchynow MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    Great, thanks.

Would a clean install have more chance of working? Or should be existing install be fine?

9. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Try the existing for now, no use making a bit of work...You can install the cert and serial before flashing if you like. It is up to you....

10. anarchynow

anarchynow MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    It worked! Well so far anyway:p Had a problem with the boot disk but worked around that.
    Vista is activated and working correctly.

Ill let you know how it goes.