just installed windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by piercekalton, Nov 28, 2013.

1. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    #1 piercekalton, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

2. eydee

eydee Guest

Short answer: Yes.

3. mruell

mruell MDL Novice

Jun 15, 2011
    Give Windows 8 some time you may find something you like. :)

4. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Why are you still posting in Windows 8.x Forum?..If you don't like it..just uninstall it and use Windows 7 :eek:..Windows 8.x is working flawlessly for many people here and they love using it..:rolleyes:

5. eydee

eydee Guest

Where exactly did you read that only blind windows 8 lovers are allowed to post in this section? Ridiculous. Any member can post here. Those still using 8 and loving it are still in the illusion of the fake epeen enlargement. There's not a single thing 8 does better than 7, vista or xp. Yes, even xp.

6. SlimRock

SlimRock MDL Senior Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Windows 8/8.1 gives you faster Start up/Shutdown than any other Windows iterations & you almost forgot the Start Screen!:D

7. eydee

eydee Guest

That's an illusion. There's no person in the world who is occupied 23 hours, 59 minutes and 55 seconds a day. That 5 seconds literally doesn't mean anything, you spend more time blinking a day. See? Fake epeen enlargement. However, this is off topic. Sorry for that.

8. pendularium

pendularium MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2012
    Run a Google search for "4842-local-account-switch-windows-8-a". I think the first result does the best job of explaining how to switch to a local account.

The only one I use on a semi-regular basis is Songza (Music). Mostly I just use the start screen as a launcher for desktop apps (which I think it's actually fairly good at). You can customize it to be fairly similar to the start menu if you want (i.e. with My Computer, Downloads, etc, etc...)

I blame muscle memory for this. It took me a couple days to get comfortable but after that I felt it was fairly equivalent to Windows 7 / the old start menu in terms of ease of access and complexity. I actually really like the Win-X hotkey (you can also right click on the start button).

It's a matter of preference. I like trying things out in a virtual machine before installing them. Sometimes that can help with buyer's remorse. I think it's kind of silly to make categorical fanboy statements about which operating system is "clearly" superior to another in all aspects (unless we are talking about Mac vs PC :p ) or that an update which introduces new features could not possibly have any additional benefits for anyone. It all just depends on what works best for you.

9. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Eloquent in its brevity. Is this some puzzle to be cracked?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Win8.x is actually much faster on my system. It's multi-threaded.
    I guess you wouldn't really see any speed increase if you didn't have like a 4+ core processor and decently fast ram though...

11. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Perfectly true... on an old system with <4 cores, <4GB RAM and a dated processor. Here are the things 8.x does better than XP IMHO:

1. Speed. 8.x was designed for top-class performance on newer devices running hardware more powerful than the average XP-era desktops. Sadly, this only applies for the newer devices and not old ones.

2. Security. Vulnerability is a real and present issue. Would you find it easier to write malware targeting a system almost a decade old? Or something less than two years old? Security improves, but you can only patch a system up so much before you decide to throw it out.

3. 8.x has so many detractors mainly because of the sudden and large change in UI. M$ stick with the start button and nobody bats an eye. Pull out the start menu and everyone goes bat-crap crazy. They came out with a system that perfectly suits touchscreen users. Not so much for desktop users. But well, imagine their position too. They make minor changes, people complain they're no longer innovating. They make major changes, and people protest vociferously.

This was due sooner or later; it turned out sooner. We can choose to shrug it off and deal with it, or just ignore it and simply continue using any OS that feels pleasing enough.

Peace.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I deleted my original posts because I guess they were negative

FYI I found the old Windows Update app in control panel

another thing I took apart the PC and re-applied arctic silver properly. running prime 95 at 60c now. before I had to undervolt just to keep it from burning up which impacted system performance

my processor is 7 years old and seems to run Windows 8.1 just fine. Core 2 Duo E6600

older but not ancient Nvidia 9600GT seems to run everything fine obviously not going to work for newer games

I am most concerned with functionality. I am working on the Start Menu so I can use it. I am trying to learn the hotkeys and where everything is. I still find it odd that I have to move my mouse to extreme corners of the screen all of the time. It still seems like everything takes extra mouse movement and extra clicks but I'm finding some shortcuts. If I go to upper right hand search type something I can't drag a link to desktop.. why not? seems dumb. Can you link to modern apps from the desktop at all?

Most apps will be useless to me as this computer is not a phone. but I can see where if I had a Windows Phone and could Sync it could be useful

I am going to try to stick with this but with the laptop running Windows 7 on the side.

13. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    That, dear sir, is what my (very computer-proficient) grandfather used as a retort when I tried to make him switch over to 8. His response: "If they don't have Clasic View, I'm not wasting my time on it."

14. david_xross_2

Aug 31, 2012
    #14 david_xross_2, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    If you're posting here...That obviously means that either you're contributing to the community or seeking some help or sharing something related to Windows 8.x..What I find ridiculous is people posting and spreading their own negativity about Windows 8.x in this forum..If you want to speak your mind about the pros and cons of an OS do that in the appropriate thread/forum!

You must be living under some sorta big freakin' mountain as Windows 8.x is better and faster in almost every aspect like file transfer, gaming performance and system responsiveness than Windows XP, Vista and 7..Get a clue, it is a new OS with an improved kernel and low level structure..and is better at least for me than Windows XP, Vista and 7..Duh! :kick:

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Show me a screenshot of you running a DX11 game on XP

Show me a screenshot of you running a DX11.1 game on Vista

Show me a screenshot of you running IE11 on XP

And many many more

Grow a brain before posting

16. eydee

eydee Guest

I hope you sometimes read news about Microsft and the NSA going hand-in-hand. Windows itself is malware. Not only 8, but any recent version. Same for Google apps etc. Security doesn't really exist, they only want people to believe in it. Personally if I can choose between some "hacker" reading my personal life or the US government, I'd choose the "hacker" any time.

Yes, I'm very interested in seeing in what direction Windows development goes forward. I don't like what happens, but it doesn't mean I'm not interested and I have no opinion.

1. answer: Don't worry, Windows 8.x can defend itself against people's valid negative statements. Or does it really, or does it need protection from fanboys?
    2. answer: Please let the moderation to the moderators. There's a report button on all my posts, feel free to use them if you feel I posted in a wrong subforum. I will use yours if you keep breaking the rules.

Proof?

I do know how a monopoly works. Show something 8.x can do with DX11.x what XP or Linux cannot do with OpenGL 4.x

------------

All I see here is 8 users' self justification.

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    All I see is a fool stuck in the past

Another thing, if you want to use a respeciable amount of RAM, ie more than 4GB, you would need XP x64, and good luck finding drivers for decent modern hardware with that POS

Finding drivers for 32bit XP for modern decent spec hardware would be difficult enough

Time to pull your head out of your ass and move into the real world, old timer

18. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I do read the news. Yes, I know about those tie-ups between corporations and the government. Security is very much real. I'm paranoid about my system being compromised. i use Windows' own firewall and block web access to any program which I'm not using in the foreground. Painfully detailed but works for me. Also, if you don't use tight enough security, it's your fault isn't it?

19. david_xross_2

Aug 31, 2012
    #19 david_xross_2, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    24381771.jpg

Do some research yourself..Ain't nobody gonna spoonfeed ya'?!

Capture.JPG

I'm done wasting my time on you..Off you go TROLL!

------------

Just go!

20. loveqin2013

loveqin2013 MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2013
    It is hard to get used to the new system.