Just successfully made my first OEM DVD, struggling with unattended install though

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by luminous, Aug 8, 2009.

1. luminous

luminous MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    As per title, I am v new to this, but have managed to make my first multi vendor XP Home SP3 DVD. I started out with a Dell XP Home SP1 disk and just followed several guides.

Now that seems to work, and I don't have to enter a key during the install process I have become interested in trying to make an unattended install version.

I have downloaded the Deployment Tools from MS for XP SP3, and have tried to run their setup manager. However, when I run the setup manager it always crashes in the "Date and Time" section of the answer file when I am making it. It complains that it cannot get the required info from the registry, says it will skip the question, and then crashes.

I am running the setup manager on my laptop that is running Vista. Is that the wrong thing to do? Do I have to run the setup manager from a machine that I have installed XP Home onto?

2. luminous

luminous MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    Super, will take a look at that. Thx for the info :D

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #4 911medic, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. zerocool213

zerocool213 MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2009
    hey

just to ask did you make that that oem unattend disc for all mutli vendor in one ?

5. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Nlite is crap and it's abandonware now.
    Just do like 911medic said.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    But isn't it better to use an already made XP SP3 VLK by microsoft and transform it to OEM and then add all the certs?
    I did it like that for my ACER, but I choose to not tag it with the ACER pictures so it stays neutral.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You don't have certificates with windows xp it uses oembios files or do you mean logos e.c.t. ?

9. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    I meant oembios files and didn't add the logos.

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I think better is how you want to do it. It is a personal thing. Some like the oem logos and such, I use my own. If you are making a DVD install, I think original OEM is out the window anyway. :cool:

I think it is better to have the M$ SP3 than a slipstream, because they are different. It is not like they are hard to find retail. You can have one iso, and add OEMBIOS and install programs per need.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    No I made a CD, unattended it with .sfx regtweaks, updates, IE8, WMP11, that I all added in the SVCPACK, added new themes in NLVST, edited the winnt.sif to make a full automated install, but didn't create the $OEM$ folder for the logos.
    I used rvm integrator for this.