KB5012599 issues?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Cipher, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Cipher

Cipher MDL Member

May 31, 2008
    #1 Cipher, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Normally while web browsing I'm getting random but frequent system freezes / hard locks.
    Crash dumps point to a kernel watchdog error.
    • An SFC finds no corrupt files.
    • An pre-boot memory diagnostic test detects no errors.
    • I have done an clean install of the NVIDIA drivers.
    I'm starting to think that update KB5012599 is the cause, as everything was running stable up to a few days ago.
    Unfortunately it's not allowing me to uninstall this update. :(

Anyone else getting any crashing issues in the last few days after updating?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I haven't had any issues with this update on any of 5 pc's I currently manage. And in fact, it would be interesting to know more about your computer, the Windows you have installed, the browser you're using, and whether there are any specific websites that are "freezing" or all happening by accident.
    But it is perfectly normal that sfc.exe /scannow to show nothing in such cases.
    However, this does not mean that everything is right and in order in your system. Only the overall integrity of the system own files is in order or OK, but anything else thing installed into this pc may have what ever problems or errors has much as possible at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cipher

Cipher MDL Member

May 31, 2008
  4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This is a temporary solution, because the cause of this error / problem is still unresolved, and I personally feel that you're not working on finding and resolving the issue, but instead blaming Windows Update.
    However, sooner or later you will have to deal with this problem again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. geordienewt

geordienewt MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2018
    I've had no problems as yet with this update, but I have had issues using the latest Nvidia drivers, which were solved by using an earlier an earlier version.

6. Cipher

Cipher MDL Member

May 31, 2008
    It certainly wouldn't be the first time a windows update has caused problems (it won't be the last).
    I seem to remember they broke printing with an windows update not long ago, then a week or two later they fixed it again.
    But the fact is I've been using my PC for hours now and not one crash since reverting back, so I'm convinced that was it.
    The clean install I did was back to 511.79 thinking it could be a problem with the latest driver (but it made no difference, it still locked up).
    Then after the system restore it put me back on 512.15, but it's been fine since.

7. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    ' This is a video related crash '

>The web browsers are both GPU accelerated, and the two crash reports I had pointed to a video related problem.

Not wishing to be rude or be an arsehole but ...... Putting things in ....... and then out ......... and then reinstalling things ........ plus ' system restore ' is not a good idea .

Your system is shot and to try to heal it you shot it again several times :)

@ Learning by burning

Did you make a back up of your system when you first put it in ? and before you tryed to update ?

8. Cipher

Cipher MDL Member

May 31, 2008
    #8 Cipher, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    (OP)
    To be honest I really don't get your point.
    My PC just auto updated just like millions of other PCs do every day.

KB5012599 was found to be the problem (the exact root cause remains unknown).
    None of my troubleshooting steps caused any additional problems as you suggest, they were just things I tried first to try resolve the issue.

I would have uninstalled the update but had no option to, so I used an restore point instead.
    No big deal, it's just another way of achieving the same thing (when it works).

Did I have a backup?
    Yes I had complete Terabyte image created a few days prior.
    But the restore point was auto created just before KB5012599 was applied, so it made more sense to try that first.

But the FACT remains the PC hasn't locked up or crashed once in nearly 24hrs now since restoring back to 19043.1586.

9. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    If your happy thats all that counts .

My opinion .

In your position i would not be happy . I would be VERY unhappy . Something happened and you dont know why . If i cant have the newest operating system and the newest driver i would start again . That would not include system restore or taking things out and putting other things back in . I like my systems to be fully functional , up to date and clean . If i had any problem at all i would not go near the net and solve it before i went into the net . Solving it would be by first putting the backup in

I have two backups for my system . The original one that has been set up and not been in the net . Then every month i wipe it and put that in again . Update it . Make a new copy = I always have two clean copys . The original one and the upto date one . That means i can check things like a driver problem in a few minutes / an hour by putting the backup in and playing with it .

And i've never used windows update . I always download the new updates and put them in myself .

10. Cipher

Cipher MDL Member

May 31, 2008
    Had a PC dropped off by a customer today.
    The job sheet said random BSOD crashes, the customer suspects a faulty motherboard.

So I checked it out, the event viewer had 4 kernel power loss situations logged since the 12th of April (patch Tuesday).
    Crash dump report same as above.
    Uninstalled KB5012599 and what do you know. :)

11. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    >and what do you know.

As you ask :) ---- >

1 - I'm an evil bastard :)

2 - You didnt test it for long enough........ doing the same things your customer did each time / when it crashed ............. to be able to say that it hasnt randomly crashed .......... yet ?

3 - Its a different problem ?

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't understand if this is an answer to something or what is it?
    If this is the answer, it contains absolutely no information about your problem or your computer. It's just some bulls**t that doesn't contain nothing at all.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    With this he implies that the update caused all;)

14. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    Cipher ...... in your second post the system restore picture shows 4 things on patch teusday .......... the first three are the updates ? ........ the fourth one is 'Removing COMODO client - security ' ' Uninstall ' ?

? comodo security was uninstalled and the problems started a short time afterwards ?

15. Cipher

Cipher MDL Member

May 31, 2008
    No that was me intentionally uninstalling CIS, it's not related.
    My PC hasn't crashed in 4 days straight now.
    And the other PC I worked on yesterday only had the built in security and no other AV or firewall software installed.