KB971003-is it a time bomb?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by phukme, Jul 30, 2010.

1. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I have been running my HP laptop with W7pro installed with an msdn key since April 29th.

That installation was activated and validated on ‎Thursday, ‎29 ‎April ‎2010, ‏‎7:56:45 AM; I know because I took screenshots. The system has been updating automatically ever since.]

Last night when I went to bed all was OK; but when the system resumed this morning [July 30th.] there was the black screen, no desktop background and the dreaded "not genuine" message had appeared.

I came straight to the forum to see if there was anything new being reported; I saw & read the post relating to <Sticky: Not genuine after KB971033 update? Read this! >.

When I searched my updates list, the only update in the last week was windows defender Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.87.582.0)

Installation date: ‎29/‎07/‎2010 4:35 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

But what caught my attention was that it was ‎Thursday, ‎29 ‎April ‎2010, ‏‎7:56:45 AM as well that the update kb971003 had been installed.

So does this mean that 971003 automatically updates itself surrepticiously; or does it mean that 971003 arms itself for a 3 month time bomb - or is something else going on?

What do I do?

Attached Files:

2. xrdguy

xrdguy MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    Dude why dont you simply use Daz loader. It free, its easy and it passes all validation crap. what else do you want in life.

3. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    No worry, KB971003 doesnt effect immediatelly, it may take weeks or even months

4. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    So.......do M$ keep a database of the keys that were used to install what they consider to be "not genuine software" or would they simply settle for determining that an install is not genuine, advise consumer by watermark, and then forget about it? Excepting, of course the constant popups....

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  6. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    why would you auto update a non genuine version of windows?

7. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    My XP/Vista/Win 7 pc's all with "non genuine" windows, auto update and still work fine....... All depends what way you do it!!

8. SLRVision39

SLRVision39 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Sorry to say that I've used Daz 1.9 on a computer I've reinstalled from scratch 6 days ago.... everything was activated until 2 days ago
    So no, Daz is not passing the validation procedure or at least not for a long time
    The only thing that really works the BIOS mod

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    It's massively passing WAT and has since build 1.7.7 so maybe a different setting in the loader could help you. A better positioned slic or whatever...lol

Just cause one person experiences something does not mean all do ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Is your install disc "clean" ?? it could have a loader built in! Uninstall with Daz loader then reinstall and re validate on M$ site!

11. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Passes WAT just fine and to Windows looks the same as a BIOS mod.

Possible causes:
    * Conflicting software (Recovery partitions)
    * Software disabling services
    * Pre-modified Windows 7 disks
    * SLIC is getting damaged after hibernation

A user has to understand how the loader works before crying out that it's failing because 9 times out of 10 it's always a user created fault.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Could'nt put it bettter ;)

13. sofatiger51

sofatiger51 MDL Senior Member

Mar 3, 2010
    KB971033 when installed into your computer will dial M$ home-sweet-home every 90 days to check on your windows and thus your computer as well. To me, it is a bug.

14. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Timebomb? Yep, a fake one:)

15. SLRVision39

SLRVision39 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I'm not crying and I'm certainly not a noob
    I have installed the computer wit a MS DVD
    The only software that were installed on the computer were 7-Zip and Firefox.
    I haven't tweaked it, just started it and installed it.
    The computer restarted and went into recovery mode for unknown reason
    After this, it wasn't genuine anymore
    If you say it's passing WAT, I'm going to try the process again and let you know

16. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I didn't think you were a "whatever" just thought there were many settings to getting Daz loader to work for specific systems and configurations, etc that you might had not tried yet?

17. SLRVision39

SLRVision39 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I aknowledge that I have only started it and installed it without doing any tweaks or changes
    I'll try again
    Thanks

18. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
  19. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    The original poster is having problems because he has a MSDN key and that is because WAT is knocking off non-legit MSDN keys.

This is because pirate factories in China are shipping fake Win7 "Retail" packs using MSDN keys to activate and hundreds are showing up on Ebay all over the World.

The "wholesale" site where the fakes are for sale is dhgate.com - search for windows 7 ultimate and you'll find many hundreds - all fake.

Neither Ebay nor Microsoft is doing anything about this exploitation of honest purchasers - wait that's not really true - Microsoft are punishing the innocent by knocking off their systems with WAT - the pirates are happily raking in the dough.

20. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I am not raising the MS fanboi flag here. But I must say this to purchasers. Buying from questionable sources and prices that are to good to be true. Ala Ultimate for $50-80 bucks. If you miss those 2 red flags. Then you are a very gullible person. Why should MS have to work with stupidity? It would be a tough lesson to learn but people might by from legit places next time.