KB971033 issues that won't go away.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by megalomando, Aug 1, 2011.

1. megalomando

megalomando MDL Junior Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I have a moded SLIC 2.1 and used an OEM Win 7 installation. This had worked wonderfully for almost two years with KB971033 being the only windows update I did not download. I ran Advanced SystemCare last night to try and speed up my sagging computer and it downloaded KB971033. Shortly after I got the notification "This copy of Windows is not Genuine".

Following the links I checked my product key and it is valid. I checked my HP.XRM-MS cert and it too is valid.

I looked at the above sticky: "Not-genuine-after-KB971033-update-Read-this!" however I haven't used any loaders or patches other than inserting the cert via slmgr -ilc C:\windows\HP.XRM-MS and using the modified bios to get SLIC 2.1

Any suggestions what I may need to do at this point?

I downloaded MGADiag.exe and tried to post the results but apparently something in the MGADiag info is not allowed here till I post a few more times.

Thank you!

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #2 alextheg, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
  4. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
    @megalomando

Had the same problem with KB971033

Disable Validation Task and Validation TaskDeadline (KB971033 related) in
    Task Scheduler -> Microsoft ->-Windows -> Windows Activation Technologies.

No more popup of "Not genuine"

5. megalomando

Jul 27, 2007
    @wobetide

Thanks for the info. If I get this working again, I'll try that.

6. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #8 x86, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    ...or you could paste these two lines into an elevated CMD (which is the same thing to what wobetide suggested)

Code:
    schtasks /change /disable /tn "\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Activation Technologies\ValidationTask"
    schtasks /change /disable /tn "\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Activation Technologies\ValidationTaskDeadline"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    why do you not simply uninstall KB971033. then reboot... problem solved.. or use RESTORE back to prior the installation. problem solved.

8. megalomando

Jul 27, 2007
    I did do exactly that but it made no difference, I still got the nag screens and it no longer was activated. In my 2nd post in this thread I mentioned I tried updating the bios and it failed so now I can't access my laptop. Daz offered me a kind solution but the insyde bios with it's installed loader is too large for me to use that method.

Even if I could extract the needed files from the exe, I don't know how to reflash the bios without a flash utility. Till I find a way to flash the bios from a dos disc I'm not able to use my laptop.

9. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
  10. megalomando

Jul 27, 2007
    Hi Daz,

Thanks for your time to do this!

For some reason it does not boot saying "Non-system disk or disk error"

Ultraiso is set to bootable.

I'll keep working with it!

Thanks

11. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #13 x86, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    If you are trying to boot from a DVD make sure the device boot sequence is set accordingly (i.e. DVD -> 1st) in the BIOS setup.

Regarding your comment on UltraISO / bootable - there could be a few issues with it as it hasn't worked for me in the past when I tried to create a bootable 7 SP1 ISO (+ some included hotfixes). In my case, it turned out that the bootable DVD I created was a Joliet instead of the UDF (that the original SP1-u was) and that seemed to prevent the DVD from booting. So what I did was to open the original SP1-u MSDN image, delete all its contents and replace with the files from my newly created image. That did the trick. So if you have an existing untouched image, open it, delete its contents and replace with what you want the bootable disc to have. Save and burn. And check within UltraISO that the format is UDF & bootable...

But I am just guessing here - what are you actually trying to do - I didn't find anything by following your posts. Are you trying to re-install the OS or are you trying to flash the BIOS :confused:

12. megalomando

Jul 27, 2007
    My bios is corrupted and I now can not boot into the computer I was having issues with.

Now I can't get ultraiso to recgonize my CD/DVD drive. Flash drive it sees but the CD/DVD burner it doesn't.

Following Daz's instructions to help me re-flash the BIOS and directing the burn to the flash drive is still not making a bootable drive.

I'm doing something wrong...

Been there before...:eek:

13. Opus

Opus MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    #15 Opus, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  14. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
  15. megalomando

Jul 27, 2007
    Yes I did, fat 32 and 30F7.BIN

I called HP to get a new chip and they said it is part of the motherboard and not removable, that they only will supply a new motherboard and that is expensive. I think this is no longer usable and I need to recycle it.

Too bad in many ways, it was designed to be the best sounding laptop out there. Nice screen too.

Se la vie...

Thanks for your efforts.

16. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    #20 vladxed666, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017