Keeping track of Windows 8 (automatic) (re-) activation processes

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Haelix, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Haelix

Haelix MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2012
    Hello,

I read the excellent thread "Windows 8 forced re-activation, if hardware changes", but did not want to resurrect it.
    There are still many lingering questions regarding what hardware triggers re-activation and how much activation real-estate you have.

Since maybe the only reliable way to get answers is to experiment it's clear we need some methods to keep track of activation, which is now automatic. So, a few of questions of my own:

1) Windows 8 activation is now automatic (no "grace" period), but what about re-activation dues to hardware change, is that automatic also? I use windows in a VM (virtualbox) and fiddle with the settings a lot, I hate to think that windows might be secretly wasting re-activations without even letting me know what triggerred them. For example, I changed the amount of RAM to a lesser value and windows remained active, could it be that it got de-activated and re-activated automatically? Also I'm installing and rolling back drivers - than can also be a problem.

2) Regardless of the answer to (1) there should be a way to query number of activations made with your key. I heard about SLMGR /dlv which displays the 're-arm count' but I'm confused by the terms involved. I have the 'standard' 64bit ISO (not Enterprise, not VL, not N or anything else) and a Pro key. Is that a 'MAK', or is a MAK something different? Do re-arms only apply to MAK's? What does 're-arm' mean anyway? Is it the re-activation that occurs after a hardware change (the thing I'm interested in), or is it the process of postponing activation (like in previons versions you had 3 x 30 days = 90 days trial)?

Thanks in advance to anyone who migh clear up things.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    After the Graphic Card of one of my computers were burned yesterday, I was need to get a new on. The old one were an EVGA 9800GT (512MB) and the new one is a Asus GT640 with 2 GB.

Bad surprise, I was need to do an re-installation of Windows 8 Pro, there wasn't any way to recover the running Windows 8 Pro. Don't know why, fact is that Windows 8 were starting to the Repair Process to tell finally that the running Windows 8 could NOT be repaired. So I used the DVD to start the repair with the exact same result and to try to do an Restore were just the same: impossible.

I was also use to update the BIOS to the latest Version, which were also not helping at all. Even it wasn't a bad idea to update the BIOS because the latest Version is much better. Maybe, who knows (?), The initial version of that BIOS which came with the Mainboard, was triggering the problem. The MB is an Asrock 990FX Fatal1Ty Professional and used an UEFI Bios. After the Bios Update I realized that the old one has some small problems before, special while restarting the computer. With latest Bios the MB is now even working a bit faster.

From this experiences I would suggest that it's time for check the Bios of the MB used on computers with or for Windows 8 are up to date.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Haelix

Haelix MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2012
    Thanks for sharing, but this has nothing to do with activation.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Has, in this case it were an re-activation of both, Windows 8 Pro and WMC! Those activation were done automatically by a clean re-installing of the OS using the Upgrade Key 2. time and further of WMC using that Product Key a 2. time as well!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    1. Windows doesnt care if you change HDD, RAM, PSU or whatever, in case of your VM you can't even get it to de-activate, On a real PC windows really only deactivates if you replace your Motherboard.

2. You can't view the Activation count for Retail or OEM Keys, you can view MAK Keys with the Volume Activation Management Tool. rearm is to extend the Activation Grace Period, but Windows 8 does not let you extend it.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Calm down Mr.!

If you read the post of the OP, you'd should realize that the question are: What triggers the re-activation, how many time somebody has reactivated and others.

In my case the damaged Graphic Crad was not only triggered a simple re-activation, instead a full clean new installation! And that graphic card were an Nvidia as the old one while the driver that exact same as I use now with the new Card!
    I also used 2 different Keys twice ( 2 x Update Key and 2 x WMC Key)
    Also that I used an updated Bios, may relevant as well.

What I'd need to do, may will happen for other as well and I'm not sorry to tell that those maybe should be happen to those who answering inappropriate to may useful information!

And last but not least, if the OP like to know how many times he could use HIS key for to reactivate, HE have to test that with HIS key on HIS system, anyway he asked other about many times they're used to reactivate with their key's! Also it seems to be that there isn't any info available how much activation could be done with Windows 8 and Feature Keys, till now!

7. Cali4niaWK

Cali4niaWK MDL Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Humm taking a page out of your own post there huh? :offtopic: :Lighten:

8. Haelix

Haelix MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2012

Ok, back to the topic, so, thanks Senj.

1. It looks like it might care. The post I mentioned, "Windows 8 forced re-activation, if hardware changes" and others talk about a scoring that takes place. It was confirmed by some that changing various components of the computer affect your activation status.

2. Indeed that's what I thought re-arming means. Therefore the term should not apply to Windows 8 (?). I also expect that you might not get to know your activation count/scoring precisely, but what about some workarounds.

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #9 Shenj, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  10. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG MDL Novice

May 31, 2008
    I got some funny problem few days ago. I had reinstall the win8, active it and then install the media center. Everything ok until suddenly I found it had deactive, I dunno what make it deactive, there is no hardware change, may be some changes in bios. It don't allow me to reactive online and need to make a toll free call to MS for reactive my copy.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe it wouldn't be a problem if you change the MB but the brand and type of CPU!

I had no problem with testing on an other MB from ASRock, Windows 8 still was running activated. I was testing that today, moving the HDD from the ASSRock 990FX Fatal1Ty Pro to an ASRock 890FX DeLuxe4 MB, both using an Asus Graphic Card and Windows was working activated after "adjusting" the MB's drivers. Evfen the 1. had an FX4100 Quad CPU while the 2. has an 1100T BE 6 Core CPU (both AMD).

If I had used on one an AMD and on the other an Intel CPU, that would have make problems and Windows were not activated any more. I really don't know what were happen by the change of the burned Graphic Card from EVGA as I was need to re-install Windows 8. But at the same time I also updated the Bios to the latest and may that has trigger the problem.

12. Haelix

Haelix MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2012
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/36357-Windows-8-forced-re-activation-if-hardware-changes/page2?p=620752&viewfull=1#post620752

You can see how for others, changing hardware has affected their activation status.