Kernel Licensing

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mr Jinje, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Will someone explain to me what this 'Kernel Licensing' is, where does it come from and why we are not allowed to discuss it in the activation thread.

2. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    #2 Fraggy, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    It's the un-official term used by Smorgan referring to : the internal process of activation into the system (how SPPSVC works, how the system queries the tokens to see if the system is activated, how the system validates the online server activation response, the KMS server response, how the system knows it's activated, the protections against activation bypass...)
    Smorgan does not want to talk about the matter because of the DMCA risk: exposing the whole system is against some (a lot of?) Microsoft patents and engineering secrets.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  4. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  6. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #6 Smorgan, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Precise reasoning to why I won't be going into the Kernel is for the following reasons:

1. DMCA Takedown risk
    2. Security Risk by going that deep

I am not referring to how the SPPSVC works as I have reversed the entire system at this point. At the present time we are going to try to get into:

1. How SPPSVC works
    2. How the system validates an online server response (iffy bc of DMCA again)
    3. The KMS server response (Cody can help with this)
    4. The signature protections are iffy because of DMCA

If we go into the kernel it will be violating Patents, Engineering Secrets, and represent a Security risk/ etc...

7. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #7 KNARZ, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    I still don't understand the reasons.
    We're only discussing and do 'guessings' (more or less). I don't see how this can be censored as we don't have internal insights.
    If this is DMCA risk why isn't Key decoding?

Security Risk by going that deep? huh? - what you mean?
    Signature protection is the most interessting part as this is the base of SPP.

8. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    ask Snowden :tea: