Kernel-Power Error ID: 41 AGAIN

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sam3971, Oct 4, 2010.

  1. sam3971

    sam3971 MDL Guru

    Nov 14, 2008
    2,220
    303
    90
    Hi ppl, I know this is the second time I posted this but it is for a different computer this time. It is an old 2006 MoBo and CPU but it is driving me nuts. Here are the specs:

    Intel P4 Dual @ 3.06 GHz
    4 GB DDR2 RAM
    Nvidia 7950 GT @ 512 MB VRAM
    350 WATT PSU

    Here is what I did so far:
    1. Checked the MoBo for SpeedStep(None visible)
    2. Installed some hotfix(Can't remember what the KB is lol)
    3. Looked at the MoBo for potential issues
    4. Updated Drivers


    Any more info would be great. Thanks guys.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. shakeyplace

    shakeyplace MDL Addicted

    May 5, 2007
    861
    75
    30
    Interestingly enough I was having all sorts of trouble with the same. Installed with Win7 from links at MDL, and all updates, Laptop , Dell Studio 1545, I7-720, on average reboot unexpectedly about every 24 hours, identical error
    Have re-installed from Dell's image had a few more.... not so much in the last week but I haven't been using it as much either
     
  3. abuttino

    abuttino MDL Junior Member

    Dec 26, 2008
    67
    0
    0
    Reseat EVERYTHING. I'd start with the memory, but if that doesn't help, move on to the next part to reseat.
     
  4. Brainsuck

    Brainsuck MDL Addicted

    Oct 9, 2009
    666
    156
    30
    Ugrading a p4 3.06 now will let you know on a Msi Board
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sam3971

    sam3971 MDL Guru

    Nov 14, 2008
    2,220
    303
    90
    @Brainsuck: Thanks dude but unfortunately that damn mobo only accepts P4s for some reason lol. I hope that helps you though.

    @All: Here is what I did today, I checked the cables again and found nothing as per usual. I updated like 6 drivers using driver genius pro 10. The last thing I did was take out the geforce 7950 video card to see if that helps. I will report back when I know if it worked or not. I probably won't know for another week at least though lol.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Brainsuck

    Brainsuck MDL Addicted

    Oct 9, 2009
    666
    156
    30
    what is the max ram on your slots mine is only 1 gig per slot for a total of two it will run for awhile with more but thing like you say will happen
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sam3971

    sam3971 MDL Guru

    Nov 14, 2008
    2,220
    303
    90
    Well that computer was given a approval of 2 GB of RAM but anymore then that was never tested. That was directly from the HP support agent lol. I am not sure but the computer sees 3.4 GB of RAM. It always saw that much to be honest so I doubt that is a real issue.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. kvonlinee

    kvonlinee MDL Novice

    Jun 4, 2010
    25
    1
    0
    I has this problem on my pc. sometimes it happen, not often I am looking for a solution also, from Microsoft web too, and to this point I don't have a solution yet.
     
  9. sam3971

    sam3971 MDL Guru

    Nov 14, 2008
    2,220
    303
    90
    Thanks for the update. I know this error is a very common generic error so it is hard to pinpoint. One thing I can tell you is if you have a bugcheckcode in the event log other then 0. Where it says Kernel-Power in the log you can see that info. Unfortunately for me the code is 0 lol. If yours is other then 0 you can figure it out because that is supposed to tell you what windows thinks is the issue.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. foopy

    foopy MDL Novice

    Sep 16, 2010
    5
    1
    0
    Quite often when a computer has crashed, the user mentions that Event Viewer told the reason was a Kernel Power Error (ID 41). However, Kernel error 41 is not the reason why the computer crashes. This event tells that the computer crashed and had to be hard reset, but it does not tell why.

    What is logged in event viewer just prior to the Event ID 41? That may be a bigger clue as to what is causing the problem.

    Is hibernation enabled in windows? If so disable it and see if the issue continues. The system may be going into hibernation and not waking up as it should.
     
  11. kvonlinee

    kvonlinee MDL Novice

    Jun 4, 2010
    25
    1
    0

    thank you for your reply. my computer has no sleep or hibernition.
    sometimes it was running and it "freezz" no reponse and next step is hold power button to restart it.
    thank you for everything
     
  12. sam3971

    sam3971 MDL Guru

    Nov 14, 2008
    2,220
    303
    90
    My computer does not sleep or hibernate at all. It has Hibrid sleep on but I dont use it. As for the other thing there is no error at all rite before the Kernel-Power one. The only thing I can think of was that the video card required 100 more Watts then the powersupply can give. Ironically the computer ran for a couple of years on that same PSU so IDK if that is the reason. I just got to see. When this happened to my main desktop it was my video card that was bad. Replacing that card fixed it there so I am thinking I may have a similar issue with this one as well.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. windsman

    windsman MDL Expert

    Jan 11, 2010
    1,323
    964
    60
    #15 windsman, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    Hi all,

    Sam, in your first post you mention the word Mobo (it's that mean notebook pc or mobile pc), because if it's a mobile or notebook, the Kernel-Power should be related to your Battery power, if you have this type of machine just Start your Pc without the battery.

    windsman.

    PS : It's Also could be apply to a desktop Pc.
     
  14. sam3971

    sam3971 MDL Guru

    Nov 14, 2008
    2,220
    303
    90
    lol my mistake. It means Motherboard. It is actually an old 2006 desktop to clarify :p
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Brainsuck

    Brainsuck MDL Addicted

    Oct 9, 2009
    666
    156
    30
    Is this more Intel or Amd doing this?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. sam3971

    sam3971 MDL Guru

    Nov 14, 2008
    2,220
    303
    90
    I think this is an Intel thing. I read that it has something to do with Intel Speedstep but on my sisters computer there is no such setting, Actually there really is not much settings at all on that one.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. GuiltySpark

    GuiltySpark MDL Novice

    Oct 8, 2010
    5
    0
    0
    Same here. I've been expiriencing it with a couple of machines, mainly based on the G31 chipset, checked,re-checked and updated everything i can thing of and derivate as a possible problem. I'm using a discrete graphics card, but it's nVidia. Still cannot solve it :(