Keyboard Failure

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dragonfire665, Feb 23, 2011.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    I have a Dell XP from like 6 years ago and it wasnt until yesterday that it started to give me some issues. For some reason my USB keyboard stop responding. I restarted the computer and right when BIOS is booting it will give me a Keyboard failure message. I change the keyboard with a different USB since there is no PS/2 connection within this computer and yet nothing. I keep getting Keyboard failure right when booting. None of the keyboards attachement will light up so i dont know if the USBs connections are damage and there are 6 of them and in none of them it will respond.

I will plug the IPOD and i see the IPOD charging. So i went and remove the battery to clean out BIOS thinking it might help me but this time it wont go nowhere. This time it gives me keyboard failure and floppy failure when there is no floppy installed within this PC. Now it wont pass the BIOS booting becuase is requesting to either presss F1 to continue or F2 to setup hardware.

Any ideal what i can be?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bAiLeY

bAiLeY MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Hello m8, a couple of things you can try.........1st is to check that none of your usb`s are damaged. If you find one that is broken then bend the 4 inner pins away from each other and the socket casing to prevent the 5v line shorting.
    If all is ok with the usb`s, then open the pc case and reset the bios. If you cant find the jumper then pull the cmos battery for a few minutes.
    Its unlikely but maybe usb / keyboard is turned off.
    If the above fails but you can boot up with mouse working. Fit a pci usb card ( cheap these days ) you should be able to install its drivers using just mouse. Then put keyboard into that.

Good luck m8

3. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    all that was already tried. As said i already clear out CMOS (BIOS) by removing the battery. I cant get to windows at all now. Im getting errors all the way and it wont let me move unless i press F1 to Continue or F2 to setup. It get stuck on the BIOS booting screen. The mouse was a USB mouse too so it was not working either. This is a one USB signal keyboard and mouse combo and i tried others even USB wired and nothing. Is definitely not the keyboard or mouse because they work on different computers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...