Keyboard works in BIOS but not on Vista logon screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tusharkalbhor, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tusharkalbhor

tusharkalbhor MDL Junior Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Hi,
    This started today morning. I started my PC (with Vista home basic which has served me for last 3+years) it loaded till the log in screen and then I was unable to put in my password. The mouse worked though. I restarted the system and tried to access the BIOS by pressing F10 (Its HP pavillion), i could do that. But again when I reached the logon screen the keyboard refused to work. I pressed Num Lock, CapsLock and scroll lock but i guess it didnt work as well because the related lights remained un-altered. The keyboard is PS2 and mouse is USB.
    I borrowed 2 keyboards from friends(1 USB and 1 PS2) and tried those, but same scenario..they worked in BIOS but not in Vista logon screen. I tried all these in safe mode, last known good configuration and normal mode, but nothing worked. Cant go into device manager to check the drivers as i am stuck on the password screen. I dont have a password recovery disk so i have blocked that road.
    Any Help is appreciated :worthy:
    P.S. have loads of IMPORTANT files on desktop so cant format :(

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    He cannot get past logon screen to get to Accessibility menu.

3. spion

spion MDL Member

Mar 27, 2010
    #3 spion, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    use the onscreen keybord with your mouse to get past the login screen then go to windows update and search for all updates.
    go to device manager to check if driver is installed.

Disconnect all cables exept the folowing:
    • Mouse
    • Keybord
    • VGA/DVI/HDMI
    • Power
    • Ethernet

Go to bios and reset all settings to default like urie stated.
    Then press F10 to save settings and exit

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ tusharkalbhor, you didn't change any setting in the bios have you tried loading bios fail safe or default settings then save settings. Does keyboard work when booting into cmd promt safe mode.

5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Detection, my mistake didn't realize that icon was there I have used auto logon for years so I never see logon screen:eek:

7. tusharkalbhor

Jul 9, 2010
    i have connected only power, vga, kb & mouse.
    nd i hv cleared cmos using jumper.

8. tusharkalbhor

Jul 9, 2010
    no, the keyboard does not work after loading failsafe bios settings. neither it does in the safe mode/ safe mode with cmd prpt.