Kindle Metro App no more sideloading?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jackmonter5, Apr 20, 2012.

1. jackmonter5

jackmonter5 MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    In Windows Kindle you can load mobi books to documents\My kindle content. in android you can sideload by copying the mobi books (with astro file manager) to /mnt/sdcard/kindle.

In the Metro kindle app i downloaded 2 free books from the kindle store but couldnt locate the folder that keeps the book files. i did find 2 folders program files\windows apps\kindle~~~~~~~ and users\user\appdata\local\packages\kindle~~~~~ (you have to take ownership before it will let you into those folders) but no sign of the downloaded books.

Can anyone here help?

(i know i can use the old Kindle Windows app, but it's not very touch friendly, and it has some issues)

2. Khromedome

Khromedome MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2012
    Interesting question - I too am struggling to find the answer to this

Hope someone can help o_O

3. paulspiteri

paulspiteri MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2011
    +1 to the failure list. I've had a good snoop around (tbh the appdata\local\packages\ folder is the only one you can freely write to, I thought) but I can't see it anywhere. I even disconnected my network to prove it was an offline book.

4. paulspiteri

paulspiteri MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2011
    I've looked into this a bit further. I found the app's code and it's actually written in javascript (seems like a surprisingly large number of the apps are, so far).
    So I looked through the code, and I guess fairly obviously, it uses the browser's local storage facilities (that's an HTML5 feature, right?) for the data of a custom written database (js...over 100kb of code for that alone).

All of that code is modifiable so you could probably change the kindle app to add a side-loading option :)

5. jackmonter5

jackmonter5 MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    paul any progress on finding the folder to drop the mobi files?

thanks!

6. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    As far as I know, apps can use JavaScript of HTML5 as an interface with the Start Screen. The apps themselves can be coded in other programming languages and use JavaScript or HTML5 as a shell (essentially), but depending on what the app does there may be no need for other languages to be used.

7. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Changing the app will not be possible, as it requires a signature. Also, I believe that the app uses some sort of winRT local storage API, not a anything standards based.