Kingston Data Traveller USB Drive Malfunction

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Chalini, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Chalini

Chalini MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2016
    My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. I am using Kingston Data Traveller USB 2, 8GB, Model G3. Mainly used for storing short videos, pictures, and documents. There is no problems with the items already in the USB. Everything opens and videos play.

All new items, copying from the computer to the USB, functions properly. When I open the copied items everything opens well and the videos (all types), play in VLC player. When I eject the USB and remove it from the computer, something happens to all the new items.

When I insert the USB again all photos, are corrupted. They open greyed out or with different colours splashed on them. All videos are corrupted. Either the player is unable to play them or if playing, the picture fragments into pieces. pdf. documents don't open, with Adobe Reader notification, saying "document corrupted or........". For some reason docs. and txt. documents open without a problem. I have checked this matter using another USB drive and it works fine.

I always remove the USB using the "Safely Remove Hardware" notification. What can I do?

Thank you.

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #2 Joe C, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    How old is this drive?

The reason I ask is because when these things wear out, (you can only write so many times before fail) you can usually still read data but it will not be able to write to the failing drive

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Chalini

Chalini MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2016
    Oh, it is about 1 year old and I have not done much read-write cycles. 5GB of the 8GB available space is used as 'write' storage and kept as back up and only occassional 'read' use. Just kept in my drawer as back up.

Regards.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  5. Chalini

Chalini MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2016
    #5 Chalini, Sep 16, 2016
    (OP)
    Thank you LatinMcG. I simply can't find the "low level format" in the links you have posted. My knowledge on this subject, as on many others, is rather poor. Hence, the following questions.

1. How is it that all the copied files open and play before removing the USB from the computer and everything gets corrupted after it is removed?
    2. Also, When the USB is malfunctioning as stated above, Kingston>Properties>Hardware>Properties says "This device is working properly"
    2. If I use Windows option to "check the drive for errors" in Kingston >Properties>Tools, would it be of any use. Would I lose my data in the USB if I do this?

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #6 Joe C, Sep 16, 2016
    Yes, please do back up all the data on the drive that you want to keep, formatting it in any way to do the possible repairs will destroy anything currently on this drive. As far as question #2, I would think if windows attempted to fix an error on the drive, you could lose any data in that area, That part of windows to fix drive errors .... I think that was mostly designed for repairing platter drives, not usb non-volatile memory.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Where did you buy this thumb drive? See if you have some kind of warantee. If so, return it.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If all avenues have been exhausted it is advisable to get a working USB drive. Somehow, sometimes, it is good to try and install all the necessary USB drivers first.

10. Chalini

Chalini MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2016
    This I can do. After the Low Level Format, what are the chances that the usable 5GB will remain usable even if the corrupted part does not come right?

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    u can try chipgenius to identify it and then redo firmware.
    likely its best to buy new one.

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    First at all, I would never use a Flash drive which is partly damaged! Even if the good remaining space would be usable, next direction for the Flash drive would be the rubbish bin! The fact is, is there even just some partly damages, it will not stop there!

If the LLFMT works with no errors, ALL space would be usable for further use! If some space are damaged, their address(es) will be put into a exclude list of the firmware! Just precaution, once damages starting, they never will stop in 99% of the cases! Not worth to take any risk!

14. Chalini

Chalini MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2016
    Thank you so very much. Now I have got the full picture.
    I am still not clear about how to interpret these two situations. While doing the LLFMT, do I get any indications for, 'no errors' and 'damaged space'?
    This I understand. If there is any doubt I will not risk using this USB. Buying a new USB is not a problem. It is just that I like doing things like this. If this doesn't work, I would still have the satisfaction of having tried.

Regards.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The answer is YES, LLFMT will give for the exact address of damaged sector's, good sectors will be reported as Good in general. The Interface of LLFMT is graphical and any action will be shown on screen.

16. Chalini

Chalini MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2016
    Low level format was done and there were no bad sectors shown. When format was complete I got the following messages: "Low level format is complete", "Remember to create new partitions".

After closing LLFMT, I clicked on the drive and I got a Windows message: "You need to format the disk in Drive F before you can use it" "Do you want to format it?" There is a button 'Format disk' on the information window for me to click. Is this normal? Shall I click on it and allow Windows to format it?

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    yup...
    The default should be FAT32

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Have you ever even think about to read a bit about the difference between Low-Level Format and High-Level Format? If not, while using to do such work, it's really time to get the knowledge BEFORE starting!!

To do some serious action without to have the knowledge is the worst start!

If a Low-Level Format is done to any storage device, like HDD, a partitioning, and a High-Level Format is mandatory! And, I strongly suggest, to do a FULL High-Level Form,at instead of a Quick one!