Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Mr.X, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #1 Mr.X, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I have never had a good experience with Kingston memory sticks. Most of the 16-GB size I have purchased end up giving errors, either it is not accepting some file formats or not going to play videos saved to it. Indeed, I have stopped recommending it to friends. I am better off using ScanDisk.

Regarding those two SSD, my understanding is that they are rated high but my experience with the same brand of memory sticks still turns me off. I am very conversant with LITEON eSata and Samsung Evo SSD. I would advice you check out online reviews on them before even putting your money.

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've got around 10 of the 32GB Kingston DT R3.0 G2 for deployment & I also use them for notebook backups. They have worked 100%. Never had any incompatibilities at all.
    I also have some 32Gb Sandisk Extreme keys which do have issues with some motherboards & notebooks. ie, locking up during usb detection, not seen as good key for backup by some recovery packages...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'd a lot problems with Kingston USB Sticks, as well as TIF Cards. Also normal Memory Modules are not as good as many other brands!

About the USB Sticks, there a lot fakes from China on the market, special if you buy online. Slow speed, less capacity, fully down fast and so on. No use them for some time now and have just two left working from more than 40 pcs over the last 2 years (have to keep them because of Company Asset Rules, can bin them after a write-off).

Regarding SanDisk Sticks, best experiences, with one exception: SanDisk Cruizer Glide 3.0 16GB, I bought about 2 month ago for ~5 US$ (THB 169.00). The reading speed is near ok, but writing! The write speed is lower than a USB 2.0 and even more slow on a USB 2.0 port!

The only really advice I would give: NOT buy online! Buy from a good dealer/shop, who'll guaranty a return/change in case of problems!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I agree that the standard desktop ram isn't that good unless it's got the hynix chips. We've been using their HyperX series without issues though...

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I'm going to buy precisely online. I've talked today with Kingston Technology (Mexico) and they advise positively about one online dealer where I expect to make the purchase.
    In addition, I like Kingston RMA policies which they cover any costs to collect the defective product and put it back in my home.
    Also talked to SanDisk and don't like their return policies where I have to pay for courier fees. No worth the price of what I am buying.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I know that some companies (I didn't means generally Memory/RAM/Flash drives) having different quality policies for their product's sold in some Asian Countries! And I do believe that Kingston is one of them!!

The fact is, if I talk about Hardware (Quality or whatsoever) I talk about products bought in Thailand! And those could be quite different from those bought in Europe or the USA! From experiences, the products from Malaysia are the same as Thailand, while those from Singapore, differs quite a lot (they're better!), while those from the Philippines and/or Indonesia, are on even more lower level! And all of them having the same Made in ......, or Product of .......!!

In the past, all Microsoft Mice were made by Mitsumi in Johor Baru, Malaysia, were bulk shipped to Mexico, Ireland (as example), got the Product Sticker attached and got packed, and those Product Stickers was show: Made by Microsoft, assembled in .......... (Mexico, Ireland) or what country ever. At that time, Microsoft Mice didn't had the Made in ..... and/or Product of ..... Sticker! I know that because I imported a lot Microsoft Mice in the thousand's 20 years ago from Microsoft Ireland, and Mexico, and the production ID's were all pointing to Mitsumi in Johor Baru, Malaysia! I once visited Mitsumi in Johor Baru at that time and they told me that all were origin by them. Their products just got 3 levels of Quality in their Quality Control and that was the indicator to which destination the different levels were send. Thailand was on level 2 at those time.

So if someone is interested to get to know WHERE a specific product were build, only the Production ID is needed to find that out!

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If the return policies are good I would suggest you go with the Kingston that best serves your interest. Defective memory sticks can be annoying sometime. SanDisk works just fine for me though.

9. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I have never bought this brand before. But I tried some products from Transcend.

10. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009