Kingston DataTraveler 8GB USB Drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by frogs2b, Sep 26, 2019.

1. frogs2b

frogs2b MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2015
    I am unable to format this USB Drive NTFS. It will format fat32.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Some old ones really can't, but it's not that old.
    Try different options - for example exFAT, HFS, EXT 2, 3, and 4 and then try again NTFS. I would recommend doing deep formating. It takse a bit long to wait, but usually helps.
    I've had similar situations and generally got to work. I have used (usually) EaseUS Partition Master or AOMEI Partition Assistant.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @ frogs2b - I've had similar problems in the past when using Unetbootin to create a bootable USB flash drive (which is why I now use Rufus!). Every once in a while, I was unable to reformat the flash drive using Windows Disk Management. Here are the two solutions which worked for me.

1.) Did you try initializing the USB flash drive before formatting it? Right-click and open the Command Prompt as Administrator, and enter "diskpart". Then enter "list disk". The disk containing your Windows OS should appear as Disk 0 by default, and the USB flash drive should appear as Disk 1, provided you have no other storage devices connected to the system. Look under Size and verify it's 8GB in size. Now enter "sel disk 1", then enter "clean" to initialize the device. Enter "exit" to exit diskpart, then close the Command Prompt. You should now to able to use Windows Disk Management to create a new partition on the USB flash drive and format it.

2.) If the above fails to work, there is an alternative that's a bit more complicated. Do a Google search for "Gparted" and download the .iso file. Then use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive on a second flash drive. Boot your machine using Gparted, and select Gparted from the menu to run it. On the right side of the panel, you'll find a button to toggle between devices, like /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, and so on. The lower part of the panel will display the existing partitions on the selected device.

VERY IMPORTANT - You're working from outside the Windows operating when you do this, so it is imperative that you select the USB flash drive, NOT the disk containing your Windows OS! Look at the lower part of the panel, the size of 8GB will indicate you have selected the correct device. NOTE: The second USB flash drive that's running Gparted will also appear when you toggle between devices, and if it's another 8GB USB flash drive, you'll have to examine the lower panel more closely to determine which one is the correct device. Take your time and be certain to select the correct one.

Now go to the top of the panel and find "Device", then click it. Then select "Create partition table" from the drop-down menu. You'll be prompted with a warning that all data on the device will be lost, and the default chioce for a new partition table is "ms-dos". This is what you want, so go the the lower right corner and click the tab marked "Create". In a few seconds, the lower panel will refresh itself, and you'll see a single line showing you have 8GB of unallocated space available. At this point, you have the choice of using Gparted to create a new partition and format it NTFS, or shut down Gparted, boot into Windows, and use Windows Disk Management instead.

5. frogs2b

Nov 25, 2015
    @ John Sutherland. Number 1 did NOT work. I was going to use Parted Magic but i remembered i have MiniTool Partition Wizard.. It was able to format my USB NTFS.
    I went to windows and tried to format NTFS and it failed. I did a format in Fat32 the went back to MinTool and format NTFS. My USB works but if i need to format this USB then i need to use MiniTool Partition Wizard.

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Of course not, as I already said before, by default is NTFS formatting USB flash drives in Windows blocked. As I understand - this Kingston is absolutely OK.

7. frogs2b

Nov 25, 2015

The Kingston is good. Formatted using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Windows would not format this drive NTFS. I have formatted other USB flash drives NTFS using Windows without any problems. When I first got the drive i could format NTFS. The problems started after i put FreeDos on it using Rufus