KMS / MAK Issue

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by meister_sd, Aug 24, 2013.

1. meister_sd

meister_sd MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Hello Everyone,

We picked up a new client a couple of weeks ago and we got a call from them a couple of days ago that they are tired of renting their software and could we take a look and come up with a better solution. When we arrived, we found that the "rented" software is Office 2010 - Pro, Std, Visio and Project. I ran VMAT 2.0 on some systems and they came back as MAK keys, so I thought I hit the jackpot. I ran Recover Keys and got the Office keys I needed. The key is the GVLK (For Office 2010 Pro - H3GVB) shows as MAK not KMS Client in VMAT on the systems it is installed on but if I run that serial in VMAT under Product Keys > Verify, even on the client computer it shows KMS. The guy who installed it is part of the SPLA program, so I can see where the VLK keys came from.

Here are the questions; I don't think the SPLA program is designed to "rent" software to individual businesses - maybe hardware with those keys installed, but not the key by themselves. This leads me to believe this whole "rental" thing isn't kosher. The second, with a KMS key showing as MAK in VMAT - could this have been hacked/patched, etc.? I've ran a few different key finder programs and they all find just one key and it's the GVLK. I don't see any KMS Server, either legit or a pirate KMS server. Running "cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus" shows it as MAK activated with the KMS key H3GVB.

I'd like some way of having proof, if they are, that they've been screwed. Otherwise, if this is legit, how does a KMS key show as MAK in VMAT and how can I do it?

2. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    simple when installing VOL version the GVLK is automatically installed.
    After install a MAK was added and therefore now takes over.
    the GVLK will be shown in Registry however the MAK will be hidden.

so IMHO the systems are totally fine and acting properly.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    ...which does not mean it is legal...

4. meister_sd

meister_sd MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Just tried again with mskey.7z and got another windows serial but still the same office 2010 kms key.

Anyone know of a way to get the MAK key? Would it be in the temp folder in some log file?

5. meister_sd

meister_sd MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Well, if anyone points me into the right direction and I get the key, I'll share it with you via PM.

6. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to extract / find a MAK Key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. meister_sd

meister_sd MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Ok - Thanks for the answer!