KMS Service works, thanks, but question about adding valid keys

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by rekabis, Nov 27, 2013.

1. rekabis

rekabis MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2013
    #1 rekabis, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I downloaded the KMS service on or about the 14th of November. Unfortunately, I don’t remember which thread I downloaded it from, so all I have is filename and contents to go off of. The zip name was just called server.zip, its root content was just one file: kms.exe (37.5KB). I was able to get it to run as a service with:
    Code:
    sc create "KMSServerService" DisplayName= "KMSServerService" binPath= "\Program Files\KMS\kms.exe" obj= "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" type= "own" error= "normal" start= "auto"
    I installed it as a service, and for the network (with less than 25 machines on it - for now - requiring activation) it has performed wonderfully. However, I now have a question: so far I have been manually activating our servers, but I would like to automate it through this tool as well (to avoid phoning in to MS). I am running Server 2012 R2 Datacenter for one or two things, and it doesn’t properly register. I am assuming that the KMS service doesn’t have a key for Datacenter (only for Standard, which we are not using) so I am looking to add a proper and valid key to this service.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm that this service doesn’t have the Datacenter key to begin with, and if not, how I could go around adding valid license keys so activation can be transparent. This would also greatly help with our Windows 8.1 keys, which we do have but are far less convenient to manage than this KMS server.

Original file attached for the curious. If there is an updated version, link to said version would also be appreciated.

View attachment server.zip

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    service does not have key. One installs GVLK on the client & point it at the server to activate

3. rekabis

rekabis MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2013
    Then I am just a little bit confused. I have Win2K12R2 Datacenter with a PID.txt in the installation media containing the valid key, and pointing it toward the server to activate throws an error message. Our internal Win8,1 machines have no such problems.