Knowledge wanted as to what's going on here?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by HSGB, Nov 9, 2022.

1. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I have neen looking around and cannot really find any info about this, andwhat I can find means little to me.

My 'MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX' BIOS has an extension of. A40, I cannot see anyone who has this. It states in the txt file that came in the archive: "This is AMI BIOS release". Yet when I open it in Phoenixtool it says it is a "Insyde Bios", are these one and the same thing?

I can only get Phoenix tool to add the SLIC table if I tick the "Grow FV" box, then it seems to work. If I don't tick the "Grow FV" box I get the error message "Insufficient space to manipulate modules". I don't have a bloody clue what all this is about, does anyone out there know? I don't really want to flash my BIOS with the altered one that I have made until I know that Phoenixtool has done a good job of it.

Cheers.

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    ".A40" is the UEFI/BIOS version. You can rename it to .ROM or .BIN if you wish.
    Phoenixtool is a little out of date & doesn't mod 32MB roms properly. Roms were 8/16MB when it was written. Even if slic is injected, the slic table is turned off by default. I used to use AMIBCP to manually turn it on.
    Serg can mod them but since the Russian invasion of Ukraine he's offline. Your better off not using slic & just using something like "kms_vl_all" for activation.
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kms_vl_all-smart-activation-script.79535/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks Flipp3r, that's some useful info there and has cleared up some confusion for me. Right, so it's just a .Rom file with an obscure extension, I never knew that. I shall not use the BIOS Phoenixtool has made as what you have said about the 32Mb size has now put me off completely, I did not know any of that either. This KMS activation, I am wanting it for Windows 7 Ultimate X64, it seems that it doesn't work on the Ultimate version, not the one in the link you have provided anyway.

Cheers.

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HSGB

HSGB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 HSGB, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    (OP)
    I have to say, that I used Phoenixtool for my UEFI BIOS on my ASUS-X570, a few months back and I then flashed my BIOS with the said altered one and it worked fine. I will take a look around and see whatI can do as I would really prefer the SLIC table added to the BIOS. I do seem to remember that the KMS tool couldn't be used on the Ultimate version, but that was when I was looking over ten years ago and I had totally forgotten. I could actually install another version that the KMS tool works on, Enterprise, or Pro.

Could you just clarify this for me, if you can, please: It states in the text file that came in the archive: "This is AMI BIOS release". Yet when I open it in Phoenixtool it says it is a "Insyde Bios", are these one and the same thing?

One other thing, if you don't mind: Can you eleborate on just what is turning off the SLIC table as I was not aware that a R.O.M. (Read Only Memory) could be written to? Or, are you saying the settings have it turned off and they have to be manually turned on in the BIOS?

I shall take a look at this "AMIBCP" and see what that's about.

EDIT: I see that KMS_ALL works on the Enterprise version, so that'll do me as there is no real difference to Ultimate.

Cheers.