KPs and Driver failure with AMD 15.7.1-15.11

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Robotnik247, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Robotnik247

Robotnik247 MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Anyone else experiencing driver suddenly shutting down ending up with no output whatsoever or glitchy graphics later going to driver suddenly crashing? Before I boil this down to defect card or W10 and AMD drivers not working well, I wanna make sure. This seems to happen with just browsing on chrome html5 content or not, flash. or DX11 games from (what I can tell). On some occasions the whole system will end up with KP.

Card is less than 3 weeks old, brand new and all (290). Everything is tiptop except for this (former Green Team).

I've done clean installs to either 10240 and now 10586, going as clean as possible, still same issues on either. I don't use any AVP, keeping it clean with Steam, b.net and dev/editing apps.

EDIT: It can stay good for hours/days before going bonkers. A DDU + Reinstall seems to do the trick 50% of the time. No corruption from what I've checked.

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I'm on AMD driver no problems here with none of the drivers on windows 10 ! I'm now in the newest beta driver from AMD :tea: You have an R9 290 if I may ask from what brand is it ?

I have an Sapphire R9 380 Nitro btw

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Robotnik247

Nov 21, 2012
    Asus DCU2 version

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

Aah oke asus should be no problem except that in my experience with asus the amd drivers gave problems on my asus card had to download them from asus to get it properly to work so no asus for me any more ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    #5 Simple07, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    I don't know the root cause of your problem, but you need to exclude i- Overheating, ii- Over-clocking, iii- Hard Disk errors. The standard cards are clocked (Core / Mem) at 947 / 1250 and the DirectCU II OC at 1000 / 1260.
    • What happens if turn the computer off for half an hour (to cool) then restart it ?
    • Do you have a tool with card to change (shades/core frequency/mem. frequency) clocking ?
    • Is the fan on the card working fine ? and air passage not blocked/restricted ?
    • Why would a hardware problem be resolved with a Display Driver Uninstalling (DDU) ? You are suggesting driver corruption, but the driver is a read only file, did you perform C:\>sfc /scannow.

6. Robotnik247

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm a person that does what's mentioned above so neither should be needed. Don't bother.

Again, still boils down to driver issue + W10. and or defect card. Which is why I'm asking. If I thought my card was overheating from idling or using DDU to clean the driver and reinstall it due to settings being buggy or whatever then I wouldn't be posting here.

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    My answer will be an faulty card or an faulty bios on your video card ! You could try to flash it to an newer bios but don't forget that the warranty will be gone if you do that ;)

8. Margusx

Margusx MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2015
    #8 Margusx, Nov 9, 2015
    to me solved AMD issue by switching side. i ńot want to say VS this and this. But AMD cards not reilable after 2 years of use. If your card is 2 years old you have to buy new. And next time think twice. If card manufactured 2 years ago there is no point to discuss´. Most likely driver issue 2 years passed since release.

9. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    RMA the card, it's a hardware issue, corrupted graphics are symptoms of bad memory chips

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I would suggest you uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Starting with your latest chipset driver and followed by the graphics one. Don't also forget to upgrade the BIOS of the system.

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    :rofl6: Funny, when there's no such thing and has nothing to do with the card only bus.

12. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    I had issues with my AMD display driver screwing things up until an update from WU appeared.
    driver version 15.201.1151.0 fixes all of my issues

13. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    The newest is the 15.201.1301 WHQL, just FYI.

14. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I disagree with you. There are other required files from the chipset the system need for the graphics driver to function at best. I have seen such a case before. Experience is better than talking.

15. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
  16. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014

You may be absolutely correct! I was only offering another tool to try to asses the situation. ;)

17. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #18 odiebugs1, Nov 9, 2015
    My bad, forgot for a second it's AMD. But what are these drivers you're talking about, I'm sure they have names, can you post the drivers besides PCIE bus that affects a GPU. TY

P.S. There have been conflicts between chipset drivers and control center so not installing newer chipset and new catalyst has been a solution. AMD chipset has asked to install GPU drivers in the past then conflicts with install new catalyst. They should get overwritten but have seen problems and had to clean out all the drivers and go from scratch with both new sets. And again was thinking Intel, been a long time working with AMD after Intel and Nvidia put them to shame.

Sure hope they don't go out of business with the bulldozer lawsuit selling fake 8 cores.

18. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    I have a new MSI R9 380 4G, running the Catalysts 15.10b, and have none of those problems with any recent build of Win10x64, including 10586. That last time I had driver problems was before the 7/29 RTM release when AMD was still firming up its Win10 driver support for D3d12. W3 is DX11, IIRC, and I have yet to have a single crash in the game (got some 100 hours in it so far.) Remember that not all "DX11" games are equal--some are solid and some are bug fests, no matter the "DX11" status...;)

If you are running the same build (upgraded to 10586) that you were using when you had nVidia installed you've probably got a bunch of nVidia registry entries and possible files still scattered in your system as nVidia driver removal leaves something to be desired--take PhysX, for instance. The best version to use with any AMD GPU is 9.12.0613 (Bing/Google it) AMD GPUs will crash all over the place if you try to play games requiring PhysX while using the latest nVidia PhysX driver...for obvious reasons! Two games I have that require PhysX, Two Worlds Epic & Two Worlds II Velvet Edition, run fine with the above PhysX driver. nVidia has another legacy PhysX driver that is more recent...the 9.13.0604 PhysX drivers, but TWII VE wouldn't even open with that one running. 9.12.0613 is the best one to use I've found.

Also, I don't like DDU as it is too aggressive and tends to remove things I don't want removed--don't like the safe-mode aspect, either. I honestly have no trouble at all simply installing a newer set of Catalysts right on top of the older set. Been working fine that way for me for years.

If I were you I'd switch over to the 15.10/11 betas...especially since you are on Win10. The 15.7.1's are fairly old as these things go.

19. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You are underestimating the functions of a chipset driver. It is essentially the most important driver to install in a system for other drivers to function properly. The files I am talking about are the ones meant to prop the motherboard for the video, audio, etc easy installation to be possible. Before you install a driver like AMD it is necessary to have the Chipset forestall to prevent conflicts like we are talking about. Sometimes it might be due to hardware issues but not in this situation we are addressing at the moment because it hasn't point to any hardware related signs.

On the chipset driver conflict and control center, it is not a common occurrence. That usually happens when you install the AMD driver first before the Chipset or all together when there is incompatibility with the hardware identification. My understanding is that AMD package is bound to fail in many cases due to the fact, as I think, the manufacturer has little idea on most motherboard functions. Now come the question. Why is Intel not giving so much trouble as AMD when it comes to graphics driver?