KVM and disapearing screens

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ncmoody, Jun 12, 2013.

1. ncmoody

ncmoody MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2013
    I am not sure if the is is the right forum for this post.
    (I hope a friendly moderator will move it to the correct place if I have put it in the wrong place)

My System
    I have two machines that share two monitors by the use of two KVMs.
    They both use Nviria GeForce vraphics cards (with twin DVI outputs)
    One machine is Win 7 Pro X64 and the other is Win 8 Pro X64.
    Both have the latest Nvidia drivers.
    Both are full retail legal versions of the OS.

My Problem.
    When I switch between machines I usually lose one screen and it cannot be reactivated without a reboot.
    Sometimes the other screen reverts to its default resolution.
    This happens on every switch over with Win 8 and sometimes with Win 7 but not always.

I have discoverd that if I switch the 2nd screen forst and then the main KVM (which has the keyboard and mouse) then usually the Win 7 machine continues to see both screens.
    The Win 8 machine virtually always loses the primary screen (the mouse and keuboard attached to this KVM are unaffected and switch correctly always)

I suspect this might be an nvidia problem but short og buying a new graphics card I have no way of detemining this.

Any senisble suggestion would be appreciated.

By sensible I mean ones that do not include only useing one machine at once or only one sreen at once.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be that your problem are the Dual KVM Switches! Mainly the KVM switch uses the power from the Keyboard connection for to do it's work.

I use an single KVM Switch 1 to 4 without any problems. I tested once to work with 2 switches and got a similar problem which were solves after I changed to the 1 to 4 Switch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ncmoody

ncmoody MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2013
    Thank you for your reply.

The problem is with the switch that has the mouse and keyboard.
    Elsewhere it has been suggested that cheap KVM switches do not bother to continue hosting the EDID when you change channel.
    Can you throw any light on the subject.
    The KVM in question is a novaview dnv104.
    I have a query in to the manufacturers Rextron, but they are a Japanese manufacturer and I had a job finding their English site.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry, I get a bit confuse!

You telling that you use 2 switches: 1 for Video and 1 for Keyboard and Mouse! Or did I understand wrong?

The Rextron Novaview DNV104 has all in that switch and there isn't any need for and 2. one! That one is similar to the A-Ten I use in Office, mine just also has Audio Interface. Normally you just need to use that DNV104 for all actions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  6. ncmoody

ncmoody MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2013
    I have two switches and two monitors attached to two computers.

The main graphics output goes to an Aten Dual-link KVM and displays my main screen.
    The second graphics output goes to the novaview which also has the Keyboard and mouse.

Generally the screen attached to the Aten switches fine (sometimes it reverts to its native resolution)
    The problem is that the system forgets the display attached to the novaview when switched.

I hope this clarifies the situation

7. ncmoody

ncmoody MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2013
    Yes I found that website eventually.
    When one googles "novaview dnv104" one is directed to rextron.ask-corp.jp.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's a crazy config! Sorry for that!

The main use of an KVM Switch is to use 1 Monitor, 1 Keyboard and 1 Mouse for 2 or more computer. Using 2 KVM Switches both attached to both computer (if I understand right) and both fully equipped with also Keyboard and Mouse, will hardly work! Those electronic in both switch trigger crashes.

I think, if you use an manual switch for the Monitors for to switch between those two, it may would work.

Maybe for to get an better picture what you really want to do, I would suggest to provide an graphic map for to visual show what it should do and how.

9. ncmoody

ncmoody MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2013
    Only the "novaview dnv104" has a keyboard and mouse.
    The Atem just has the monitor.

I do not understand why you think my system is crazy, I want to use both monitors with both computers. What is so odd about that?

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For understand your config, I asked for an graphical map. Without that it's difficult to help.

And as I wrote above already, 2 of those electronic devices, which doing the same "work" maybe interrupt each other.

11. ncmoody

ncmoody MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2013

The KVM - novaview dnv104 is the problem

I have heard from the manufacturers Rextron.

They inform me " According to the SN provided, this unit was made on 2005.
    EDID Emulation function is not available and the firmware is also not upgradeable.
    We suggest purchasing new DNV-104"