KVM windows 7 guest. how can I activate it post installation?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by synthnassizer, Sep 29, 2014.

1. synthnassizer

synthnassizer MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2014
    hi all,
    I have followed (possibly?) outdated guide to compiling a modified BIOS and activating windows 7 64 KVM guest. The host is debian 7 64bit. the title of the link is "Crafting an SLIC BIOS for Linux KVM Guests ". you can find it in these forums in you append to the FQDN : /threads/33723-Crafting-an-SLIC-BIOS-for-Linux-KVM-Guests

The process has failed meaning that the activation has not gone forth, so I wonder if this guide still works.

A few key differences that I can note between the guide and my case:

- I had already installed windows when I stumbled upon this guide. In fact I skipped adding a product key at the time. Other than that I used the gigabyte .bin file to mod the seasbios, added a valid product key from "Windows 7 OEM SLP Key Collection" (for win7 ultimate - didn't find a specific one for Gigabyte) and installed the certificate from gigabyte too (v2.1). still windows are not activated.

- patching seabios with seaslic's patch did not complete successfully. only 2 out of 3 changes got applied.
    The reason being that the 3rd change needs to replace some code in <seabios.submodule>/src/acpi.c, line 800 or so. while file acpi.c has merely ~650 lines of code (also I can not find the relavant part anywhere)... so I could not apply the 3rd patch .

Any clues as to how I can complete the actiavtion?

thank you in advance for your help.