Languages / fonts - messed up letters!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Sep 16, 2017.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I use En-US version of Windows 10 and occasionally I install something that uses Russian fonts, Cyrillic and while some fonts/letters show up normally, others are just messed-up-garbage-unreadable. Why is it some fonts/letters are OK, while others are messed up? I can view websites in Russian just fine, type, etc., but when it comes to some software installers, this issue tends to come up and its annoying.

I THINK it can be fixed (or at least could be fixed back on Windows XP...) by changing Windows 10 location/localization settings or just by using Russian copy of Win10, BUT that is not what I want.

I want my En-US version of Win10, want my location to be USA, want En-US as primary language, but I also want to see normal Russian fonts/letter like they should be.

What is also funny is that it seems to affect Russian-fonts/letter specifically because I never had anything like that with German or French...

Do I need to install a language pack or something? Is is the only way? I am not sure where to even get a language pack and whether it makes sense to apply it after my OS was already updated and fully rebased.

2. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Problem is that the programs/installers wasn't created with full Unicode or UTF encoding result with gibberish font.

Changing windows language is one way to get the font to display properly, i used to do that with few Japanese game installers, but now days i just know what those gibberish button does and skip language change.

3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Yeah, I guess I will have to suck it up, but why can't En-US version support non-full-Unicode/UTF Cyrillic?

4. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    The same thing happen when saving other languages on a .txt file (notable Japanese/Chinese/German/Russian and more) using default ANSI encode, it will just save it as gibberish, Unicode/UTF is the only way.

So question is why not everything just create with Unicode/UTF to begin with for universal compatibility. There must be reasons, but not big enough to make me dig on it.