Laptop Display Problem?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BrokenDaily, Aug 16, 2017.

1. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    So I got parted magic running on my laptop (the most current single payed version), and im blanking this HDD of mine, but lately, if it runs long enough, the screen starts flickering, and then goes white, not black, just pure white

now when I do a force shutdown and reboot, it kinda fixes itself, but it will happen nearly everytime; I know how to take it apart so maybe all I have to do is fiddle with the cable connecting the display to the laptops motherboard, but off chance that isn't what's causing it, is there any tool I can use within parted magic or literally any rescue cd that can help diagnose this problem, see if its a hardware issue and not a software issue

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If you have checked the video cable without any solution it is time to try the following:

1. What is your system configuration?

2. Check if it only happens when the system is hot when it is long in use and that could be a sign the GPU is encountering issue.

3. Check if the GPU is well soldered to the motherboard.

4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    How old is this laptop? sounds like HW failure maybe a bad GPU or a over heating problem check the fans.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Connect another monitor to one of the VGA or HDMI ports on the laptop and see if it works. If it does, your GPU is o.k. and it's the cable or the screen.

If the external monitor turns white also your GPU is doa and you'll probably need a new motherboard for that laptop

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi first you can show specifications of your laptop and which O.S. are running? after I can help you in some manner ok :)

7. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    I would provide the specs, but I think I fixed it; last time this happened, I believe the laptops display was damaged, so I ordered a replacement (finding it was FUN, /sarcasm) off of amazon, and took apart my laptop and replaced it and put it back together, so I figured taking it apart, disconnecting all the cables, and then using a small anti-static brush to get rid of any dust and my air compressor to blow away any remaining particulates, put it back together, and suprise suprise, it worked

I think the cable connecting the display monitor to the motherboard was slipping, and all I needed to do was move it back into place; a piece of tape keeps it steady behind the display, considering the tape, will any piece of tape work to keep the cable steady, or will i need to find a heat resistant/special type of tape

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012