Laptop for architecture student

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Ditbardh, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Ditbardh

Ditbardh MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2011
    Hi all

Wanted to ask you what is the best laptop for an architecture student, asus, hp, dell, lenovo ? I need to buy one in next week so your help will help me a lot, just say all of you your opinion. Some say that hp gets hot fast, some say that alienware are better for autocad program ect.

Thanks in advance.

2. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #2 Muerto, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    You just need to make sure it has good components and the manufacturer has a low breakdown percentage. For the love of god don't buy from Hewlett Packard. I like the Sony VP series, I've used mine for Software Development for the past year and no issues at all, apart from (obviously) having to clean the fan and apply new thermal paste.

3. quantahis

quantahis MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2012
    Laptop doesn't design based on student s stream so youn can buy any one which you feels best.

4. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I second "Don't buy HP!" I build and repair PCs and laptops and HP's are horrible! Sony is great but very pricey. Worth it if you have the $, though. Otherwise, I like Toshiba, Asus (NOT Acer!) and Lenovo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Just one advice, you need a good processor with a good graphics card to run high-end CAD apps. So choose wisely.

:)

6. Ditbardh

Ditbardh MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2011
    Thank you all, i think i'll go for a good processor and graphic card, lenovo or asus, ill look which one ill find it better :D thanks.

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Buy Asus or Lenovo and stay away from HP, Gateway, Sony and Acer. Toshiba is a bit decent sometimes but you have to look up the specific one you want to buy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Ditbardh

Ditbardh MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2011
    I found an dell inspiron, intel i5, 4G ram and 2 g intel graphic card integrated, what do you think can this one be good ?

9. Pr3acher

Pr3acher MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi, once again don't buy HP or Packard Bell or even Acer; Asus, Dell,Toshiba,Sony (expensive) are good choice.
    Can you give us more details maybe on what you gonna do with it (code,design,graphism..) ?

10. Ditbardh

Ditbardh MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2011
    What do you think about that laptop that i wrote up there? I just want to have good rendering results and to know what firm to buy (asus,dell,lenovo ect.)

11. lnstevens1976

lnstevens1976 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Alienware laptops are overgrown Dell Laptops that are designed to look nice to gamers.

Personally I'm a Fan of the HP Elitebooks. They always get good reviews and the support is outstanding (all US Based for the elitebooks). Also, unlike Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, etc... when Nvidia had there packaging issue on laptop chips (and didn't recall) HP and Apple were the only two companies to stand up and back it up. HP with an extended 1 year warranty on the motherboard for affected products.

The most important thing I think would be at least a decent dual core w/ good graphics. You didn't list a screen size though.

12. lnstevens1976

Oct 16, 2012
    Personally I would avoid Dell. The amount of those I see broken, etc... is insane. I see more bad dell computers and laptops than "ANY OTHER" brand.

As for those hating on HP, I have seen very few problems since they quit using Nvidia chipsets (which would be a smart move for any laptop manufacturer after Nvidia's fubar with the chips and then not even bothering to recall them.)

13. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    If you don't plan to move your computer around a desktop would be a much better choice. Easier to have a good keyboard and mouse, large screen, performs much better, and much more cost effective. It's not uncommon for people to buy laptops and have them just sit on a desk somewhere 24/7, and when they need to actually use the portability they unplug it from the power... and get dismal battery life. A lot of this portability has been replaced with mobile phone and tablet use anyway, where people just use them to update facebook, twitter, etc.

Just remember, in any case the prime design function of a laptop isn't CAD, isn't stationary use, isn't for gaming etc, it is for portability.

14. lnstevens1976

Oct 16, 2012
    I have to 100% agree with this. I bought my laptop first (elitebook 2760p) and had it hooked up to a monitor/keyboard/mouse via the dock at home. The annoyance of unplugging it and plugging it back in all the time put me into purchasing a desktop to go along with my laptop.

It may not be a bad idea to buy a lower end laptop for carrying around and showing designs/etc... and have a nicer desktop at home for the actual work.