laptop model may/may not support UEFI installations?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bakelal, Feb 3, 2014.

1. bakelal

bakelal MDL Junior Member

Oct 20, 2013
    hello guys..
    i have lenovo z570 laptop,i dont know whether or not it support UEFI installation, i can't see anything in bios named as UEFI
    i wanted to install win 8.1 x64 ,i tried clean install with dvd creating all gpt partion but after installation completed i was not be able to shutdown the laptop,is it due to because my laptop doesnot support the booting to the GPT partitioned disks or something else.
    if i install windows via bootable usb (partitioned gpt) does it solve my problem .as i m doing clean install so much time spent is moving the data..plz give me your suggestions

2. agent268

agent268 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Are you installing the OS using the Windows Setup wizard or manually using DISM? If memory serves me correctly, Windows Setup will only install Windows to a GPT partition if the device supports UEFI and if you booted to the Windows Setup Environment via EFI Boot Mode. So if you successfully installed Windows to a GPT partition using Windows Setup, then the device supports UEFI.

3. bakelal

Oct 20, 2013
    #3 bakelal, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    (OP)
    i am installing through windows setup wizard, i have already made bootable using Rufus(selecting gpt partition scheme), now clean install will do the trick ?/

Attached Files:

4. agent268

Feb 20, 2012
    Using a GPT partitioned USB Flash Drive will have little barring on doing a UEFI install of Windows. What matters is how the computer boots to said installation media. If it loads up in EFI Boot Mode, then Windows Setup will allow you to install Windows on to an existing GPT disk or perform a clean install that uses GPT partitioning which in turn means a successful UEFI installation. Have you checked the user's guide for your Lenovo to see if it does in fact support UEFI?

5. agent268

Feb 20, 2012
    Doing some quick research shows the Lenovo IdeaPad z570 is a 2011 era Windows 7 notebook that supports XP and 7 by default. There are no details on it supporting UEFI Boot Mode and most Windows 7 era PCs were either strictly BIOS based or early UEFI devices running in BIOS Compatibility Mode via a Compatibility Support Module (CSM) with a locked down BIOS/UEFI Setup Utility that has all the UEFI settings hidden.

6. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I just down loaded and read both the User Manual and the Hardware and Maintenance Manual. Incredibly (IMHO - considering my own experience with Lenovo products), there is no information about the BIOS. I have found a thread in the bios-mods.com forum that seems to confirm it is UEFI.

7. agent268

Feb 20, 2012
    Nice find!! Based on that info in that thread it sounds like this is indeed a UEFI based notebook, but an early gen one with most of the settings locked or hidden. So it likely can technically support UEFI Boot Mode and UEFI Windows Installations, but it might not be easy or even possible to get it to boot in UEFI Boot Mode depending on how Lenovo configured it by default or locked things down. My best suggestion at this point is seeing if there is a Boot Device Menu hotkey like F12, F9, or something similar as that might give you the option to perform a UEFI Boot to a particular bootable device.

8. bakelal

Oct 20, 2013
    done...:yeah::yeah: thanx for help