Laptop randomly freezing

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BJ0RN, Sep 28, 2016.

1. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    Hello MDL and welcome back to myself. :D

Long time since I poked my nose inside.

Well this time I have a rather odd issue, i will try to describe it as good as possible.

The problem is that my laptop randomly freezes when Im using it. This could be "heavy" gaming or just when reading the mail (yes its a gaming laptop)
    When it freezes the screen stops moving and the sound gets stuck on whatever it was playing. The only way to bring it back is hard shutdown (pillow-method) and then it turns on normally. I have checked event viewer, but nothing special is showing up there, its like the freeze never occurred.

I am sure its not overheating since this has happened during regular mail reading.

Any bright brains out there with a tip to what I can do?

All best, Bjørn

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    From own experiences, I could say, even 'normal' dust could the culprit in a freeze of a Laptop and even Desktop. Air moisture also plays it's role!

That said, a deep clean of that laptop is on order! If you didn't have the needed knowledge and expertise, let it done by a reliable and specialized service.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    Deep clean in form of dust removal inside I presume then? Yeah, laptops are so easy to clean inside. ;)
    Ill try that and if I cannot do it myself, I'll have the shop do it. :D

Im still open for other suggestions and ideas meanwhile. :D

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    wouldn't hurt to run a disk check on the hard drive to see if windows finds any bad sectors

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    There are two possibilities that can be examined:

1 ) A RAM stick is going bad. Test the RAM if you can.

2 ) The hard drive is going bad. That happened to me on my HP touchsmart. Random crashes, just like you described. The drive finally died, I had to replace it, and that finally fixed the problem.

Good luck with the problem.

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    could be 3 things.....bad HD bad mobo bad ram check them all.....i start with ram check them HD.

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #7 Hadron-Curious, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Possibly caused by a bad RAM before anything else. Try and change the RAM and test the hard disk drive for bad sectors as the other people have pointed out. You can also check the registry editor for corrupted keys and reinstalling Windows might be the best solution in that case.

8. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    Info for yall that suggested, I'll drop it by the store today, Im lazy and I dont have spare parts to test stuff with. Hopefully they can fix it. If not, my new pc should be right around the corner anyways. :D
    I'll keep you posted

@M.J :eek: :hug2: