Laptop several/strange issues

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by panosm763, Jul 7, 2011.

1. panosm763

panosm763 MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2011
    Hello the last few days im experiencing some strange issues with my laptop.

I have an Aspire 5920G laptop
    equipped with a mobility radeon hd3650.

3 days ago i faced a blue screen "Unknown hard disk error"
    After restart windows tried to recover the installation with no luck.
    I restarted and the system could not find the hdd. I plugged in my hdd on my moms laptop(external case)
    but no luck.

I bought a new seagate moment xt500GB S
    and replaced the old one.
    I ve installed windows 7 64 bit.

Yesterday i opened my laptop to check my mails but the screen turned black(monitor was working)
    after some restarts i manged to log into windows. I launched WoW and everything freezed when the game started.(Wifi turned off, screen turned black, wireless mouse stopped working)

My temps are normal 40-42 for cpu.

I also noticed than i cannot stay in the bios screen for more than 20 sec it exits and continue loading.

I removed the hdd and boot an ubuntu image with no luck(monitor off).

In windows events i have several events for power issue.

I need your opinions.

Is it power supply is it the gpu?

P.S

HELP :)

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Could be video drivers, what gpu model is it and what forceware in use ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. panosm763

panosm763 MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2011
    #3 panosm763, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
    (OP)
    An ATI mobility radeon hd 3650. with the latest drivers from ati site.

I agree with your psu thought because it happens even if im not on OS. its a 2008 model

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    The GPU has gone rogue in my opinion , you would be surprised how many issue's you get from a bad GPU. If you want to replace the battery with a new one i guess it would not hurt but i would not spend any more cash than that on a machine of that age.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    It's probably the motherboard or power supply, the BIOS issue you had makes me doubtful it's the GPU. If the GPU fails the laptop won't boot or will just power off completely in most cases. When you started the game and it powered off stuff that's power issue most likely. In most cases it's not worth fixing unless you want to do it just for the fun of it.