Laptop shuts off as soon as Windows 10 starts to load

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ciscokid, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Hey guys, here's a strange one for you.

I have an HP laptop, it's a Pavilion dv6-7000 Quad Edition, it's an i7 with 8GB memory (2x4GB). I have Windows 10 Pro x64 installed. When I boot the laptop, it goes through the process normally until it hits the Windows 10 boot screen, as soon as the logo comes up, the laptop shuts down. If I immediately boot it again, it successfully boots into Windows.

I've tried to replicate this on other laptops and the same thing happens.

Just as a game, I installed Windows 10 Pro x86 and none of this happens, it boots up and works perfectly, leaving me with 2.92GB available out of 8GB.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

By the way, I've changed hard drives and memory and the issue is still there. I've installed Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64 and have had no problems. Seems to be a Windows 10 x64 issue.

2. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Was that x64 install a clean install?

BTW, you ought to give Ripley's Believe It or Not! a call!

3. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    Yes, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64, then did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64, states Windows is activated.

4. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    some driver can be the culprit

5. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    I'm thinking ACPI? I may try to update the chipset drivers directly from the Intel website instead of trusting the ones built into Windows 10.

6. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Try the original video driver from MS. In device manager disable audio and everything else you can do without. Then add each thing back one by one until it does it again. It's a driver.

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Hmm... Heat on processor yep, but imo it causes a complete shutdown, no reboot loop. :g:

9. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, you're right. Mine used to shutdown completely; but, this also may be a cause? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Indeed, I think this is one of the most important things he needs to address first.

11. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009

disabled rootkit detection in uefi setup, sure?

12. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    I don't think it's heat, the laptop is brand new, not a speck of dust on the fan. I just updated all the Intel drivers, didn't fix the issue.

Going to try disabling some of the items in device manager and boot up, let's see what happens.

13. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Hey!

That is exactly the same behaviour that I experienced with my Samsung RC530 from 2011 which came preinstalled with Windows 7.
    I did a clean install and it fails the first time just like you described! I previously had Windows 8.1 installed and it always worked fine.

As I still use ClassicShell on Windows 10, I was able to figure out the problem. Actually the culprit is Windows 10 Hybrid Boot, which you can disable either with a registry entry or via ClassicShell options!

The laptop now boots up just fine, but takes a bit longer because of the full boot every single time. Boot times with Hybrid Boot would have been faster.

That's not really a solution, but maybe a workaround for now. Maybe somebody more techsavvy can take a look at it.

Best regards,
    kokosmann

14. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    OMG!! Kokosmann, you are my new hero! I disabled Windows 10 Hybrid Boot and guess what? The laptop is fixed!! I tried it 4 times and it booted perfectly each time. I found a registry key on Google to disable Hybrid Boot on Windows 10 and it fixed the issue!!

Thank you, my man. This proves once again that MDL is the place to be!

15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Interestingly, it does not disrupt anyone if it uses so much RAM! Something is very wrong. Such RAM usage is absolutely absurd. Do You know, what there still working?
    If it uses about 1.5-2 GB after reboot, it would be normal ( stays free 6-6.5 GB ).
    Try to find out, what apps are running background. And why they are running.

16. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    That's because there's no drivers in the Intel installer, and they don't get updated. Just an FYI.

17. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    That's basically why we have RAM, if it wasn't being used, it's worthless. The entire point of having RAM is that the system put's it to use.

Empty RAM is useless.

18. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    That was with Windows 10 Pro x86, my friend. Just an experiment. Of course I want to be able to use all 8GB and now I can since the laptop is working perfectly after disabling the Hybrid Boot. :clap:

19. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Hey ciscokid,

I'm really glad I could help you and the problem is basically fixed now!

That's actually a really weird issue, I agree with you on that. Maybe we could get some fixed drivers in the near future.
    It is some kind of problem I never encountered with any previous install of Windows. They should really look into it. Interestingly, it happens to your new laptop aswell. Inintially, I thought it was related to my older hardware and crashed because of some incompatibility when booting. Seems it is some general nuisance.